Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How Long do Stock Shocks Last?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 01:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How Long do Stock Shocks Last?

I have a 99 WS6 with over 85K on her now. My suspension feels fine to me and I know the stock suspension setup is on the car currently. But would I feel a difference by even just getting new shocks (GM) or not? The reason I ask is if I will feel a difference, then I might as well get some aftermarket shocks and springs and do it right.

Just wondering how long the stock shocks are good for?
Old 05-18-2005, 07:55 AM
10 Second Club

Trust me, your way over the normal life of stock shocks and springs too. Although I recently just changed out my shocks (went with Bilstein HD) I didnt change springs and it did make a big differance to me. Just feels so much better around corners and dips in the road. I would definately recommend changing them both out asap. By the way you might want to add some SFCs at the same time. You wont believe how that helps too. Just a thought for you. Hope it helps!
Old 05-18-2005, 09:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 118 Posts

98Z28-Replaced the original rear shocks at about 85,000 miles.Replaced with SLP OEM takeoffs.Same part number on the shocks as the ones I was removing.I felt a slight difference.It was handling fine before the replacement,just with 85,000 I was concerned that action due to deterioration was occuring.Had I known then what I felt after replacement,I'd still have the original shocks on(currently at 96,000).I wasn't getting any unusual lean on curves or wheel hop on launch back then or now.I assume I was lucky in the quality of the shocks that were on the car because 85,000 is a lot to ask of shocks.
Old 05-18-2005, 03:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are the shocks and springs different than those of a regular TA of the same year (1999)? Does mine have 1LE springs on it? Maybe the WS6 shocks last longer or something like that.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

okay, so I know now that I have decarbons and my springs are 1LE springs, but the real question then is how long should I go before replacing my current shocks with say Koni's? (I already have SFCs - BMR).
Old 05-22-2005, 08:16 AM
TECH Addict

Is it more mileage or age for changing out shocks? My 98 feels fine, but I only have 38k on the clock.

Quick Reply: How Long do Stock Shocks Last?