Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Shock sticking

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 03:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shock sticking

I have a new set of Koni SAs and I'm thinking I might have a problem with one of them. I'm sure if the shock is getting stuck I would be able to tell by the ride. Can any one tell me what to look for?

I hate to say its a shock and it not be true. I've moved springs around and I still have problems with the same corner of the car
Old 05-19-2005, 04:14 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Can you be more specific? Why do you think a shock is sticking? For the record, that'd be an awfully strange happening. If a shock fails (rare enough for a Koni SA), you just end up without enough rebound damping. Really the only way a shock could stick would be if something inside either flat fell apart or the shock was bottomed and the rod bent.....

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-19-2005, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

well I had a problem with the car sitting too low on one corner. I swaped around the springs and still have the same problem in that corner. The other side is just fine. It happend one day suddenly. I let someone ride in the back and that side never came back up. I assumed a problem with the spring and to test my theory I swaped around springs thinking that the problem would move with the spring...well it didn't Not its not as low but it is still low. I can't really notice anything with the ride but I did hear a squeek today when driving. I'm going to grease the bushings and see if it was just a bushing on the PHB or LCAs. I could have a different problem all together and I'm just not seeing it right now.

When say a shock sticking I would assume that it would be bent which would cause it to hang. When I droped the axle to move around springs it seemed to drop fine. No hang or anything like that. Looking at the shock it doesn't look bent or anythig but I'm not too sure. Thats why I was asking would I notice it in the ride. Maybe a stiffer ride or bad handling?
Old 05-19-2005, 10:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Swap the rear shocks from side to side. I doubt it's a shock, but that would tell you for sure.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks Trackbird I'll give that a try.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:21 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

If the axle dropped when you put the car on jack stands, the shocks are bound up (or else the axle wouldn't have dropped). How much lower is the one corner sitting? Also you need to make sure you are checking this on level ground. Can't tell you how often I've heard this only to find out the car is sitting on an angle. And with the solid axle, it'll articulate independent of the body to a degree. Meaning not only does the wheel on one side look pushed up (or the ride height low), but the opposite side looks higher due to the increased wheel well gap.

Shocks don't set ride height anyway, unless it's completely locked down, which we know it's not. But switch them and see. But I think you'll find nothing wrong there. If you remember how the car drove with DeCarbon's that weren't broken, it wasn't nice. A broken shock would, I think, be pretty apparent.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-20-2005, 01:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would say that the side sits about an inch lower. The fender hangs over the tire and on the other side it is up pretty high. I've had the car on level ground and it looks like this. I understand what you mean about the ground. The street I live on has a slant to it and it makes one side look lower but I checked it at work where we have a nice flat drive and it was like this.

What I mean when I say the axle dropped isnt just suddenly drop. When I put the car on jackstands and took the jack off the axle it followed the jack. It didn't hang and then fall after the jack had been let down. It was nice and smooth thats why I didn't think I had a shock problem. I bent a shock on my old car and it the corner that had the bent shock was hard. IT wouldn't move at all and when it did it made a bad sound like a poping sound. This time I figure I would notice the it in the ride and To tell the truth I don't notice anything. I think I might just replace the springs and be done with it. I'll see what happens after I do that. I didn't really think it was a shock problem but figured I would get some feed back and explore the idea

Thanks for the help Sam and Trackbird.

Quick Reply: Shock sticking