Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

whats the smallest pipe to go with for a SFC

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 12:24 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats the smallest pipe to go with for a SFC

I'm looking at building my own sub frames connectors and wondering what size pipe I should use. I'm thinking either a 1- 1/4 or 1-1/2 but is the 1-1/2 overkill, will it realy hold everything together well or is it just adding extra weight and taking up more ground clearance. Not sure how easy different size pipes bend or twist, so any info will help.
Old 05-22-2005, 05:02 PM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
I am not an expert but I have looked at alot of different designs for 4th gen F bodies. 1 5/8" is about the smallest you will find for most over the counter designs. Exceptions being double diamond units that use smaller pieces in a matrix. Also, as far as subframes go there is no such thing as over kill.

If you want them to tuck up nicely then 2" round tube will just fit in the pinch/rocker area. With 2" square tube they will have to hang down a little. Most of the better units use heavy gauge roll bar tubing.

If you are tallented enough to build your own, then I say leave the compromise of over the counter designe behind and build them as strong as possible. The problem with these cars is that it is very difficult to tie the connectors into the rear subframe. Most designs connect to the front subframe and to the control arm mounting points at the back. If you can figure out a way to connect to the rear subframe without loosing too much ground clearance you will have a very good design.

JA
Old 05-22-2005, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JGA
Hi
If you are tallented enough to build your own, then I say leave the compromise of over the counter designe behind and build them as strong as possible. The problem with these cars is that it is very difficult to tie the connectors into the rear subframe. Most designs connect to the front subframe and to the control arm mounting points at the back. If you can figure out a way to connect to the rear subframe without loosing too much ground clearance you will have a very good design.

JA
You could do it the way Global West does - there's just a flat piece on the end that closes off the pipe and fits up in that channel, it gets welded along both edges against the sides of the channel. Tubing is 1 7/8 iirc.