Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What should be done first: alignment or adj. phr adjustments?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should be done first: alignment or adj. phr adjustments?

I'm about to install my Spohn adj. panhard rod, and plan on getting alignment eventually. The rear is shifted slightly to the driver side, which is why I am installing the adj. phr. The car pulls to the left when I let go of the wheel, which is why I'm getting an alignment.

My question is: which should be done first?
Old 05-24-2005, 12:28 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TransAm52804
I'm about to install my Spohn adj. panhard rod, and plan on getting alignment eventually. The rear is shifted slightly to the driver side, which is why I am installing the adj. phr. The car pulls to the left when I let go of the wheel, which is why I'm getting an alignment.

My question is: which should be done first?
I think you should set your adj phb to stock length and install it and take it to the alignment shop and ask the guy there if he could adjust it and then put it on the machine and even it out. That is what i did. Our you could just set the bar however you want it to be shifted to and then take it to the alingment shop.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your rear tires are not rubbing, then you don't need the APHR. If you are upgrading for better handling, such as with the poly or rodend APHR, then put it on first, center your axle to make sure the tires do not rub and then get the front end aligned. The alignment guy will only do a 2 wheel alignment anyway. They don't normally do anything with APHR, most have never even seen one.

Are you going to get a performance alignment?
Old 05-28-2005, 10:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

match your adjustable phb to your stock length.take it to a dealership tell them you put in a adjustable phb and you want a 4 wheel alignment. better yet talk to theyre alignment tech yourself and he'd probley be happy to get that extra hour of labor for just turning a rear stud... i know i would be!!
Old 05-31-2005, 05:17 AM
Teching In

there is no rear alignment proceedures for the rear. if you havent lowered your car and are having problems with the rear end being in alignment, then it's an axle or panhard problem. then only use for an APHR is to fix the problems associated with lowering springs.

put the PHR on the rear, measure the distance from the outter wheel-well and if they aren't even, adjust the PHR so they are. that's it. set the jam nuts and you're done.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by severous01
there is no rear alignment proceedures for the rear. if you havent lowered your car and are having problems with the rear end being in alignment, then it's an axle or panhard problem. then only use for an APHR is to fix the problems associated with lowering springs.

put the PHR on the rear, measure the distance from the outter wheel-well and if they aren't even, adjust the PHR so they are. that's it. set the jam nuts and you're done.
I don't agree. If you are using adjustable LCA or just rod ended arms, they may look stock length, but may be off a little. If they are off, the axle will point a little to the left or right making the car go down the road a little sideways. Maybe not enough to notice, but your handling and tire wear will not be right. I would get the car 4 wheel aligned. As long as you don't change the LCA lengths, you can get only the front end aligned from then on. It costs a liitle more money that first time, but how much do your tire cost? Would you want to wear them prematurely? Also, how much is it worth to you to have a car that handles and feels like it is supposed to? I say it's a small price to pay.

As far as the PHR, if you get an adjustable one, you want to adjust it to make sure the wheels aren't rubbing under cornering or going through dips. If they aren't rubbing then you can play around and try and center it a liitle so long as you don't make the situation worse. Once you have it where you want it, put some loctite on the jam nuts and tighten it good.

A little extra info on the PHR. The centering takes place under compression. That is when the tires are most likely to rub. When the car returns to ride height the axle will be a little off center. That is just how our rear suspensions work.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JasonWW
I don't agree. If you are using adjustable LCA or just rod ended arms, they may look stock length, but may be off a little. If they are off, the axle will point a little to the left or right making the car go down the road a little sideways. Maybe not enough to notice, but your handling and tire wear will not be right. I would get the car 4 wheel aligned. As long as you don't change the LCA lengths, you can get only the front end aligned from then on. It costs a liitle more money that first time, but how much do your tire cost? Would you want to wear them prematurely? Also, how much is it worth to you to have a car that handles and feels like it is supposed to? I say it's a small price to pay.

As far as the PHR, if you get an adjustable one, you want to adjust it to make sure the wheels aren't rubbing under cornering or going through dips. If they aren't rubbing then you can play around and try and center it a liitle so long as you don't make the situation worse. Once you have it where you want it, put some loctite on the jam nuts and tighten it good.

A little extra info on the PHR. The centering takes place under compression. That is when the tires are most likely to rub. When the car returns to ride height the axle will be a little off center. That is just how our rear suspensions work.