Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Air bag in pass. side rear spring??

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 06:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air bag in pass. side rear spring??

Went down in the "pit" at my buddies lube shop to diagnose a tranny leak and I noticed an orange air bag in the rear pass. side spring. I hadn't ever noticed it I found the valve and sure enough I can raise and lower the rear end, what is the purpose of this contraption??? I bought this car used I love it but I have always been into Harley's and off road trucks "street cars" are new to me. What psi needs to be in the bag and when do you use it
Ric-
Old 05-23-2005, 07:14 PM
10 Second Club

The bag is used to stiffen the right rear for better planting and also eliminates it from squatting too much which aids in traction. I used to run one at about 18 psi at the track but did not see a noticeable difference. The rear QA1's helped much better.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:04 PM
Teching In

Thanks, I thought I had air shocks LOL
Ric-
Old 05-24-2005, 02:22 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

It's the "easy suspension fix" for factory chassis tunning. Obviously because of a TQ differential, what DrkPhx was illuding to is that during a hard launch, the tq of the driveline causes the car to squat on the right rear harder than the the left. Putting the bag in it allows for smaller spring rate adjustments without actually changing the spring itself. Think of it as a spring rubber that the NASCAR guys use. Proper chassis building is meant to illiminate this "flex" and will keep the car going straight, but since most of us turn left and right and don't just go straight, compromiseable solutions like this allow us to add "wedge" to the car. I think that's the right term as we are wedging more weight from the right rear to the left front effectively by increasing this spring rate. Hope that helps and I haven't confused you (or myself with the proper terms for that mater ).

Quick Reply: Air bag in pass. side rear spring??