Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Camaro/Mustang Challenge Results - Race #2

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 10:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Camaro/Mustang Challenge Results - Race #2

Since this series is all about handling and not about horsepower, I thought it appropriate to post this in here.

First, let me get my sponsors in ...

It's HUGE, but so are my sponsors!

Thanks Kevin at Moonlite Printing and Graphics in Carrollton, Cody of SPR Mobile Detail in the Dallas Ft. Worth region, Steve of Natwell Welding in San Antonio, Tx, LG Motorsports in Wylie and Brock Express Lube in Granbury, Tx.

You guys made this happen!!!!

I learned a lot about the car and working the setup to get it dialed in. The car is very picky about the fuel load. It's hard to fathom that 30lbs (5 gallons of gas) in the rear can take the car from a push to loose over the course of a 20 minute session. I only adjusted the shocks once and was very meticulous about keeping the fuel load constant. I need to look hard at my tire temp and air pressure data to see what changes I might want to make.

I learned that these Toyo tires are a very good tire. They greased up when over driven, but recovered very fast.

Let's suffice it to say I fought the law of physics and the law won. I spun 3 times ... first 2 times was because I let the tires go away by over driving the car. Gotta have tires under you at the end ... the last time was going for 2nd place, had to get on the brakes really hard and locked up the rears ... too much rear bias. I have since dialed a 1/4 turn out of the rear brakes.

Because I was a noob rookie, not just a regular rookie, I had to grid in the back all day. My qual times were respectible, but nothing to write home about ...

It was freaking HOT ... easily 100* both days. Coolant temps saw 250 (guage only reads 250) and oil temps saw 300 (guage only reads 300). But the motor ran strong all weekend, never bobbled and never used a any oil.

After Saturdays tutoring about tire management, I reworked my strategy around and was able to work my way up through the field to take a 3rd in my class ... 9th overall, if I recall.

Here is how we all gridded ....

I had 3rd wrapped up in the last race and got greedy. I lost it on the last lap looking for 2nd ... wound up 5th.

By-standers told me later that I was making up some serious ground the last 3 or 4 laps of the race. The driver I was gunning for told me the white car kept getting bigger and bigger in the mirror.

Catching is one thing, but passing is something altogether different.

The 2 4th gen cars are set up very close.

Mitch ................................... Glenn
AFCO coilover kit*................... AFCO coilover kit*
700lb fronts .......................... 700lb fronts
Bilstein HDs ........................... Bilstein HDs
32mm sway ........................... 32mm sway
1LE lower A-Arm ..................... GW spherical inserts

225lb rears ............................ 200lb rears
Koni SAs ............................... Bilstein HDs
21mm sway ........................... 19mm sway
aluminum/spherical LCA & PHB* . aluminum/spherical LCA & PHB

*Homemade
Old 05-24-2005, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrates on your run feller, all the better considering your starting position.