Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

frame damage

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 02:17 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default frame damage

my car was involved in an accident last fall. an unlicensed uninsured woman ran a stop sign and clipped the front end of my car. shifted the whole front end. passenger side fender was pushed over about an inch under the hood and drivers side fender pushed about an inch away from the hood. body shop spent a few hours on a frame machine and supposedly straightened it out. I got the car back and the paint was messed up and the aftermarket bumper they told me" they had to use if it fits" didn't even come close to fitting right.so i demanded a new gm bumper and repaint on the front end. picked the car up and everything was fine. well i'm in undercar at school right now( universal technical institute) and i tried doing an alignment on my car. we cannot get the thing to align for crap. got the camber where i wanted at -1.1 on both sides and when it came to camber it was messed up bad. the lowest we could get on the left was 5.6 degrees and the highest we could get on the right was 3.4 degrees. my sai is also off really bad on the left i have 13.4 and on the right it is a 14.8 so i kn ow somehting is bent somewhere from the accident that the bodyshop didn't fix right liek they told me they did. does anyone know where i should look first for bent or damaged parts? i want to be able to tell the body shop where to look because obviously they messed it up the first time. tomarrow my teacher is going to look over it to see what he can find before i talk to the bodyshop. thanks for nay help and sorry its soo long
Old 05-26-2005, 06:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd contact your insurance company. Tell them what you found out about the car. I suspect they'll contact the shop about getting it corrected (I know State Farm did that for me). They don't like to be "taken" by shops doing shoddy work. I'd start with that phone call. Then, put it on a frame machine (if the shop doensn't wind up fixing it) and start checking things out.

Good luck.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks , we have 3 alignment racks at school and my teacher rewally knows his stuff so tomarrow morning we are gonna put it back on the best hunter rack we got and look everything over so i know where the damage is. then tomarrow after school i'm calling the insurance and the shop.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000slpss
thanks , we have 3 alignment racks at school and my teacher rewally knows his stuff so tomarrow morning we are gonna put it back on the best hunter rack we got and look everything over so i know where the damage is. then tomarrow after school i'm calling the insurance and the shop.

Sounds like a perfect plan. Good luck!