Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

best aftermarket brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 12:05 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best aftermarket brakes

I know the price range varies from 900 or so to around 2500...

Just wanted honest opinions of the kits out their.

Probably looking at Willwood, Baer, and Brembo...

Also, how much more stoping power is had from 2-6 pistons designs......I know its a lot but im looking for real world input here.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

check these out. i have this kit on my car. its not from him but another vendor who is not longer in buisiness. these brakes are killer. i have them on my 3600lb street car w/ 450rwhp/420rwtq. i havent found the limit w/ them yet, even when i'm comming down from 155mph on a road course. on top of comming down from 155 every 2 minutes for 20-30 minutes 8 times a weekend, there is still the other 14 turns and related braking on the 2.9 mile course. what i paid for the kit, i saved in cracked rotors over the last year. i was cracking about 1 per weekend. and that was w/ the C5 upgrade!
trust me, get this kit in the link. at least call him and talk w/ him about it. consider all your options.
http://frrax.com/rrforum/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=4572&
Old 05-30-2005, 12:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TAwananbe
I know the price range varies from 900 or so to around 2500...

Just wanted honest opinions of the kits out their.

Probably looking at Willwood, Baer, and Brembo...

Also, how much more stoping power is had from 2-6 pistons designs......I know its a lot but im looking for real world input here.
From what you mentioned, you are in the market for a big brake kit, however the main benefit is that the brake kits you mentioned above will absorb heat due to their larger rotors, and the friction rings will resist warping under extreme heat (provided it is a true floating rotor design).

A benefit from the caliper design (provided they're a solid "non-floating caliper design") would be rigidity that results in more consistent performance from the caliper (less delflection, I believe that's what it is called). As far as needing more than 4 pistons/caliper, that one i'm not too sure of. If it is a rigid caliper design, then you should have no less than 4 to apply at least the same pressure over at least the same surface area the stock caliper will.

Don't know if you are considering any type of slots, crossdrills, dimples, crescent holes, or any other type, but they're mostly for looks. If you do a search in the forum you'll probably come across all of the problems that these rotor face features have. Since there is practically no excess outgassing problems on today's modern pad designs, there is virtually no need for any of the above rotor modifications. if the rotors are ventilated well enough, then the heat should dissipate quick enough.

Will this result in 60-0 times? maybe, however 50-0 times will result in little difference since the tires are the best parameter for sub 50mph braking.

I'm not too sure if you've considered Stoptech. They're similar to the Brembo F-body big brake kit, however they're around 1000 USD cheaper, and they have excellent customer service at the moment.

Don't know if Baer completely engineers their brake kits all by themselves. I believe it's just the rotors they design, and the calipers are made by PBR and Alcon (depending on what system you choose). Not bad kits, just don't have them.

Also forgot to ask you if you intend to perform AX, or ORR with your vehicle. For the money you invest in them, you'll probably see very little improvement on the street (driving within legal limits that is).
Old 05-30-2005, 02:02 AM
Staging Lane

Just knowing I can stop on a dime makes me feel good inside.....

That and running 110mph and not worring about stoping.

I like high performance all around wich includes braking and handling.
Old 05-30-2005, 02:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, you will notice a difference. Depending on the circumstances "stopping on a dime" may or may not necessarily be achieved much greater than the stock setup. Just from my experience though, maybe trackbird or mitchntx can chime in. These two members have a wealth of knowledge and experience with brakes and handling.

Just as a suggestion, you might want to consider StopTech as an option. Many on this board have been satisfied with its performance and it's price to match. There are better brakes for a whole lot more, but these seem to fit within your stated price bracket. Here's the website: www.stoptech.com

I find it very informative as it makes great effort to disspell myths about big brake systems. If you shall ever need to call them, they're very prompt in answering most pertinent brake questions needed. As a former customer service rep, I demand service that is reasonably decent in handling many pertinent issues that can relate to an aftermarket brake system. It also helps to note that my experience with them is A+ as they are patient and polite.

As a friendly reminder, I don't endorse any street behaviour that exceeds legal limit, however, definitely a smart move to upgrade from stock. Enjoy, and have fun.
Old 05-30-2005, 03:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Remember to upgrade thoes tires along with the brakes, you can only stop as fast as your tires will let you.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn98ZM6
check these out. i have this kit on my car. its not from him but another vendor who is not longer in buisiness. these brakes are killer. i have them on my 3600lb street car w/ 450rwhp/420rwtq. i havent found the limit w/ them yet, even when i'm comming down from 155mph on a road course. on top of comming down from 155 every 2 minutes for 20-30 minutes 8 times a weekend, there is still the other 14 turns and related braking on the 2.9 mile course. what i paid for the kit, i saved in cracked rotors over the last year. i was cracking about 1 per weekend. and that was w/ the C5 upgrade!
trust me, get this kit in the link. at least call him and talk w/ him about it. consider all your options.
http://frrax.com/rrforum/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=4572&

Here's an install page on the kit Glenn is speaking of. It's a fantastic package and I think you'll be very happy with it. I installed these on a friends car at my house a few months ago and documented the install here:

http://home.columbus.rr.com/trackbir...ke_install.htm
Old 05-30-2005, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another vote for the Porsche brakes.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Now that's what I'm talking about! That's a definite serious and no nonsense setup if you ask me. btw, not to turn the thread in another direction, where did you guys find a setup like that? After much searching, I couldn't find it so I went with StopTech (which I am very satisfied with). When I clicked on the link to frrax, it appeared the person making them was discontinuing them.

my vote goes in for those as well, but nevertheless StopTech's are great if also considered.

Last edited by Foxxton; 05-31-2005 at 04:52 AM.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Foxxton
Now that's what I'm talking about! That's a definite serious and no nonsense setup if you ask me. btw, not to turn the thread in another direction, where did you guys find a setup like that? After much searching, I couldn't find it so I went with StopTech (which I am very satisfied with). When I clicked on the link to frrax, it appeared the person making them was discontinuing them.

my vote goes in for those as well, but nevertheless StopTech's are great if also considered.

It's a great kit. Steve/pro stop performance went into production with them since everyone seemed to want an excellent, Porsche based, brake kit. Since he built a "stack" of kits and has had a difficult time moving them, he's considering closing up shop and getting out of the business. If anyone wants them, they need to call Steve and vote with their wallet. That kit (that we installed) is using a floating rotor setup that is just "artwork". I was amazed at the quality of that rotor setup (but it is about $950 for the hats and rotors, though replacement rotors are not too expensive, the hats are pricy).
Old 06-01-2005, 05:54 AM
Teching In

if you have the funds...get the porche brakes. if you dont have the funds, go with the wilwoods.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:57 AM
12 Second Club

Where is the best place to get the Wilwoods?
Old 07-25-2005, 04:03 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by DarknessZ28
Where is the best place to get the Wilwoods?

Anyone?
Old 07-25-2005, 07:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DarknessZ28
Anyone?

Just about anyone seems to have them (check the sponsors) and Jegs carries them as well.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:49 AM
TECH Resident

The porsche setup is great, but alittle pricy for someoen that wont be RRing or autoxing. If you dont want to spend the money, look at the LG C5 brake kit. It is one of the best kits for the money. Best of all you can keep your stock calipers or switch to vette ones. It uses any 97-04 front C5 rotors. If you have the money and want to spend the, again the porsche setup is badass.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:07 AM
Launching!

I was interested in getting the stoptech myself. Does anybody know about clearence issues with them? they seem to be a rather wide caliper. I don't know if alot of 17 inch wheels will allow them to fit.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2000FormulaMan
I was interested in getting the stoptech myself. Does anybody know about clearence issues with them? they seem to be a rather wide caliper. I don't know if alot of 17 inch wheels will allow them to fit.
I have them, and I think they're excellent for the price. As far as the clearing the OEM 17x9" SS ZR-1 style wheels, they won't without at least a 5/16" spacer. To really ensure they fit, you should download their template for the kit and measure accordingly, since it is more a matter of spoke design, rather than just wheel offset. The diameter of the rim should clear with no worry. If you do use a spacer, please be sure to change the studs to compensate for the spacing.

The rims that I am considering are the OEM Z06 wheels since their apparent spoke design seems to clear the caliper without needing a spacer (or at least a large one for the matter).
Old 07-27-2005, 06:42 PM
TECH Regular

Are ZO6 calipers 2 or 4 piston? (fronts i mean)
Old 07-27-2005, 07:40 PM
TECH Regular

anyone?
Old 07-27-2005, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 149 Likes on 120 Posts

The '04 Z06 calipers are a two piston design. But they are pressure cast instead of gravity cast like the stock calipers. The don't expand as much under heating from hard braking.

Quick Reply: best aftermarket brakes