Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

new shocks. springs too?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005 | 05:44 PM
Teching In

From: Indianapolis in summer, Bloomington (IU) during school
Default new shocks. springs too?

its time for new shocks, what kind do i need to get? Koni adjustable? i am clueless about suspension. also should i just get new sprinks too? like a coil over kit? all fully adjustable?
Old 06-08-2005 | 07:27 PM
Teching In

What is your budget and what are your goals for the car? Do you wnat a fully adjustable car thatd be ready for competition, or a budget builtl well riding street car? Do you want to lower it any?
Old 06-08-2005 | 09:38 PM
Teching In

i would love to have adjustable, what way i could get a raked look. i would like to keep it affordable, like under 1K. i know i dont need koni double adjustable, but need more than just stock. when i replace things i like to do more than is nessasarry. i want it to be ready for hard street driving, corners and stoplight to spotlight. it will be rare for this car to see track action.
Old 06-08-2005 | 09:42 PM
Teching In

also i cant lower it much, id like to have it down an inch in front and less in rear, but it cannot go lower than an inch at all.
Old 06-08-2005 | 09:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hotchkis springs and SLP Bilsteins = 1" drop in front and back, and won't break the bank, handles awesome too.
Old 06-09-2005 | 07:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Know that I know more, I would recommend my setup, which is the Ground Control coilover conversion up front only and a modified stock rear spring combined with the Koni SA shock in front and the Bilstein 3rd gen shock in the rear. I actually have the Koni SA rear shock, but find the adjustment and expense uneccesary.

Anyway, the prices break down like this:
GC front kit $225
Rear springs $5-$20
Front Koni SA shocks $248ea
Rear Bilstein shocks $81ea
With shipping, it should be around or just under $1,000.

It's one of the sweetest packages around for the money.

The front GC kit includes springs at whatever rate you want as well as adjusting sleeves to fine tune whatever ride height you want. 500lb fronts are commonly liked and even 600lbs can be had on a daily driver if you want to go real low in front, but 500lb would probably be better for you.

You can mod the factory rear springs pretty easily. Start out by removing the big insulators on top and wrap some heater hose around it. That's called the "hose mod". It drops the rear about 3/4". To go lower is as simple as trimming the the big end of the spring with a cutoff wheel. If you should go too low, no problem, you can space it back up.

The Koni SA front shocks are quality pieces and give you adjustable rebound control. It helps you to really dial in the feel of the car and is definetly worth the price.

The 3rd gen Bilsteins are also popular on the rear, because it controls the cars body motions a bit better than the 4th gens and blows away the stock shocks.

With these quality shocks you will see that the ride become way too smooth with stock springs, so don't be afraid that the much stiffer springs are going to make it too rough.

My spring rates are 550/170 and I daily drive my car. I was real picky about the stance as I wanted it just right. Here's what I ended up with.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...wCalipers3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...wcalipers1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...SideView2b.jpg

I'm very satisfied with the adjustabilty in ride height and the overall look I was able to achieve.

I always recommend Strano Parts , because Sam talked to me a lot and helped me figure out what I needed.

If you wanted, later on you could step up to a solid 35mm front swaybar for about $140 shipped from a place you have to PM me about.

Like I said, for the money and the adjustabilty, you can't go wrong with this setup. And do you even have to ask about the handling? Your car will be planted.

Jason
Old 06-09-2005 | 11:42 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor
10 Year Member20 Year Member

Originally Posted by 99zhuggerz99
its time for new shocks, what kind do i need to get? Koni adjustable? i am clueless about suspension. also should i just get new sprinks too? like a coil over kit? all fully adjustable?

A question like that is a kind of like asking 10 people what brand of beer you should buy.

I suggest you talk to someone who can walk you through the different parts, what they do different and what would best suit you. And frankly, I only do that on the phone since e-mail is way to vague.

If you can't lower it much, the Koni option is a great one. Not only do you get KILLER dampers which is the biggest thing the car needs for proper handling (and also better ride too), but you can get some lowering as well wihtout the cost of springs...... Yep they cost more, but you get what you pay for and if the lower amount is good with you, you save $$$ back on not needing springs or a PHB which you can put back to the shocks.

Hotchkis springs work well, I use them fairly often (as well as others depending on the situation). SLP Bilstein's are not valved for the rate of the Hotchkis springs. They work reasonably well, but not as well as they could (and that makes sense since SLP's springs are softer and not as low in comparison, also depending on the owner's wants, the SLP shocks can be a touch too soft also).

In short you have options (those are just two).
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 06-09-2005 | 11:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

I guess you could say there are a lot of options, but any standard spring is going to be a compromise compared to the GC fronts because they can give you whatever rate you want as well as whatever height you want.

The only reason you might want to compromise and get a set of regular springs is because of money. If money is going to be a concern and you have to lower your budget, then yes, there are going to be a lot more choices for you to make and they will all be a compromise compared to the GC front setup.

That's just my opinion, though. Try calling Sam, he'll set you up right.