64.81%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 11:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OneMeanZ
Jason, what about the Panther Plus or Bobcat? Which one would be suitable for DD and very spirtited driving on weekends in the mountains?
Panther Plus. They are dirty, but I can wipe down my TTII's with a damp rag and they clean up easily. They squeek a bit, but not loudly. You get used to it. They bite well cold and only get better as they get warmed up.

The XP8 and up don't bite well when cold, so they aren't recommended for street use.

The P+ are capable of building a lot of heat (hence my earlier cracked rotors) so if your mountain driving really strains the brakes you may want to add air ducts to help cool the fronts.

I'm completely satisfied with just my P+ pad upgrade. I don't feel a street car needs a more aggressive pad or a larger rotor. Stickier tires, yes.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Jason
Old 11-04-2005, 11:28 AM
Staging Lane

I have Raybestos on the rear - pretty noisy on my application (Eradispeed rotors).
The pro stops on the front are great, but they dont make them for the back.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JasonWW
The XP8 and up don't bite well when cold, so they aren't recommended for street use.

I drive them on the street anyway and have fine luck with them (XP8). The Panther Plus are better when cold, but the XP are still quite good and a bit of heat makes them very good. Not that you need that much pad on the street, I just wanted to clarify.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by trackbird
I drive them on the street anyway and have fine luck with them (XP8). The Panther Plus are better when cold, but the XP are still quite good and a bit of heat makes them very good. Not that you need that much pad on the street, I just wanted to clarify.
Larry told me that as you go up in pads that they get dirtier and noisier. Is that true with your XP8's compared to the Panther+?

Last edited by JasonWW; 11-05-2005 at 05:30 AM.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Larry told me that as you go up in pads that they get dirtier and noisier. Is that true with your XP8's compared to the P+?

They aren't that noisy (light squeaking) and the Panther Plus in the rear make about the same noise. The dust is about the same in my opinion, but since I have dust colored wheels and don't clean them, I may not be the guy to ask. I think I like the Panther plus better on the street, but I like both of them better than HP+'s.....(my personal opinion).
Old 11-06-2005, 11:35 AM
On The Tree

XP9's are serious pads. Not good for the street.
I got them on last night and they are freaking awesome!
Old 11-06-2005, 01:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Shane_G
If you are not running open track events, that may be more pad than you want. It's not that it can't/won't work, it's that you'll probably go through two sets of brake rotors for every set of pads. When running those pads (and my XP8's, and even my Panther Plus) on the street at street temps, they can be very aggressive towards rotors. It's nothing to be alarmed about, but you need to be aware to watch your rotors. If they wear too thin and the pads wear down, you can pop a piston out of the caliper. It's not a common problem, but you do want to watch your rotor wear to be safe.

Have fun!
Old 11-06-2005, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Shane_G
I would just drive on them normally for about a week to get them sort of worn in and to get some heat cycles on the rotors and then bed them in. Don't over do it like I did.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:56 PM
TECH Regular

I run NAPA Ceramix brake pads, they are carbon ceramic. No noise, practically no dust, and they stopped so well I actually put them on my other cars.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LTorres
Porterfield R4S Carbon-Kevlar

Quiet, Rotor Friendly, Maximum effectiveness under a large range of heat conditions. Very affordable is always a plus in my book.

I'll completely second this recommendation.

I currently run Ferodo 2500's on the front and Pagid RS421's on the rear with excellent results...... but this is with a completely different brake system.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:04 PM
TECH Veteran

What different opinions on pads, wow.

My first brake change, the shop used Raybestos Quiet Stops.....simply the worst pad I've ever experienced. Loud and after only 2 days my rims were full of dust. I gave them 1 1/2 months to break in and no change. Took them all off and threw them away.

I went to the dealer and bought genuine A/C Delco factory replacements, yes, they were like $135.00 for all 4 wheels, but they are the perfect pads. No dust at all (I do wash my car every 3-4 days) and they are smooth as hell and 100% silent. And they CERTAINLY last longer, by far, than any other pad available. I used them on my second brake change as well and I'm getting the same great results.

Guess pads vary for every car.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hawk HPS
Old 07-14-2006, 07:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Since this thread was brought back up I wanted to ask those of you out there.
Does anyone make a super aggressive compound that works at cold temps?
I'm wanting a street pad that will eat up the rotors in 6 months and make noise and dust. Something with a strong initial bite. It won't see temps over 800*F, though.

It's a very odd request so I'm not sure if anyone makes such a thing. BTW, if you want to know why this is needed, it is for a hand operated brake pedal and the force going to it is not as strong as a leg pressing down on it. Basically I need a strong compound from the first press while cold. Anyone know of such a pad or compound?
Old 07-14-2006, 08:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hawk Hps, no sqeeks and little dust.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

Put VGXs' on in summer of 02,a few months ago I took the VGXs' off to try the Hawks'.VGXs' are going back on.The Hawks' had identical performance to the VGXs' but with a slight more dusting.VGXs' are only about 60% the cost of Hawks'(based on Summits' prices).
Old 07-14-2006, 10:51 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm wanting a street pad that will eat up the rotors in 6 months and make noise and dust. Something with a strong initial bite. It won't see temps over 800*F, though.

It's a very odd request so I'm not sure if anyone makes such a thing. BTW, if you want to know why this is needed, it is for a hand operated brake pedal and the force going to it is not as strong as a leg pressing down on it. Basically I need a strong compound from the first press while cold. Anyone know of such a pad or compound?
Hawk HP Plus..... HPS's aren't hugely aggressive at all. I have tried, and *don't* run HP Pluses on my car because they are so powerful that I tend to overslow when I just touch the brakes lightly while autocrossing. Work stone cold, not very hard on rotors, but the more aggressive a pad is the more aggressive they are to rotors.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 07-14-2006, 01:41 PM
TECH Veteran

I was looking for this too.Sent an inquiry to Hawks':
"which one of your compounds(of those that are available for 1998
camaro z28 rear disc brakes)would provide the highest static clamping
force.Note static not dynamic.I'm not concerned about rotor wear and/or life
once it gets into a dynamic condition."
Their reply was:
"Thanks for your interest in Hawk Performance.
Our DR-97 compound would lead the Static category. This compound was originally designed for Drag racing and to date is the only compound we recommend for use in Drag Racing."
Old 07-14-2006, 09:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
I was looking for this too.Sent an inquiry to Hawks':
"which one of your compounds(of those that are available for 1998
camaro z28 rear disc brakes)would provide the highest static clamping
force.Note static not dynamic.I'm not concerned about rotor wear and/or life
once it gets into a dynamic condition."
Their reply was:
"Thanks for your interest in Hawk Performance.
Our DR-97 compound would lead the Static category. This compound was originally designed for Drag racing and to date is the only compound we recommend for use in Drag Racing."
I've never heard of their DR-97. Did you look into them or find someone who sales them?
Old 07-16-2006, 08:38 AM
TECH Veteran

this compound would be custom made for you.

Jeff Smallwood
Hawk Performance
Motorsports
Sales Manager
Technical Director
Cell Phone: 812-549-7772
Office: 800-542-0972
email: jsmallwood@hawkperformance.com

Quick Reply: Brake Pads