Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

2 point strut tower brace

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 11:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 point strut tower brace

I tried a search but you know how that goes. These 2 point strut tower braces I see on ebay, are they any good? Do they do anything? Are they easy to install?
Old 06-15-2005, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't think any of the strut {on our cars they are shock towers} tower bars sold, E-Bay or other wise do anything. I bought a used one and couldn't tell squat after putting it on. Too lazy and to tell ya the truth, it sorta looks good and the weight really isn't significant so I left it on.

If you want one get one,,, but just don't think you will notice a world of difference before and after for you hard earned money.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Judd is right. They do not do much but they look cool
Old 06-17-2005, 12:09 AM
Launching!

Are they easy to install?
Old 06-17-2005, 12:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

A 2 point can be installed in less than 20 minutes.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

so are the 3 point bars worth it? or are they a waste too?
Old 06-17-2005, 03:24 AM
Launching!

Well sometimes you gotta blow money on something that looks good, and certainly doesn't hurt. I bought a red one, heck with it, its only $50
Old 06-17-2005, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

No one has proven any shock tower brace helps significantly but like radio said, it doesn't hurt. Get what you want, it's your money. Think of it as an appearence mod that possibly may help stiffen the car a bit. I just wouldn't recommend spending much on it.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:19 PM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Default Do not get a 3 pt.

Hi

To install a 3 pt you have to remove the wippers and cowl grill. Layout and drill holes and then reinstall the wippers and cowl grill after. It will take about 3 or 4 hours. If you are paying for it, it is a waist of maney. If you do it your self it's not too bad. Also, you will need an angle drill to drill the holes in the under side of the cowl. It is a very cramped space in there.

In addition, whenever you need service that requires removing the brace, the wippers and cowl will have to come off again. This is the biggest reason to avoid a 3pt.

JA
Old 06-20-2005, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JGA
Hi

To install a 3 pt you have to remove the wippers and cowl grill. Layout and drill holes and then reinstall the wippers and cowl grill after. It will take about 3 or 4 hours. If you are paying for it, it is a waist of maney. If you do it your self it's not too bad. Also, you will need an angle drill to drill the holes in the under side of the cowl. It is a very cramped space in there.

In addition, whenever you need service that requires removing the brace, the wippers and cowl will have to come off again. This is the biggest reason to avoid a 3pt.

JA
thanks, i hate removing wiper arms and cowls.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:04 PM
I ruin the end of films...

Originally Posted by JGA
That and take a look at how thick the metal is on the wiper cowl. Think that'll hold much stress?

I've always wondered about whether the STB do anything. I know for a straightline car they're dead weight, but for cornering, I could see how they'd be a slight improvement. On a car with a lot of chassis twist, a properly designed bar would eliminate movement of the strut towers. A friend put one on his IROC road race car and it seemed to tighten the front up a little. The most interesting I've seen was Spohn's adjustable brace. I don't completely see the use for it, but it's definitely different.

Quick Reply: 2 point strut tower brace