Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What stops lean?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 07:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What stops lean?

I have an 01 SS Convertible. KBDD SFCs are here, but I have not put them on yet.

What stops the car from leaning around a long turn (like an off ramp)? Is it SFC, STB, shocks, springs, sway bar or all of the above? If all of the above, which will have the greatest effect?
Old 06-17-2005, 12:10 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In my experience, it is the sway bars that do the majority of it, although a good set of springs and shocks help. Here's my setup:

Front: lowered 1.5" on a Ground Control kit w/ 400 lb/in linear rate springs, Bilstein revalves from Sam Strano, and a 35mm sway bar.

Rear: lowered 1.5" on a Ground Control kit w/ 125 lb/in linear rate springs, Bilstein HDs, and a 25mm sway bar.

Very little roll going on here anymore
Old 06-17-2005, 01:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is a combination of springs and sway bars. Shocks will help initially as they will resist compressing and extending, but within a few seconds they will not be a factor.

They are more noticable for turn in and transitional stuff, but a long sweeping turn, like an oval track, will allow the shocks time to fully contract and extend.

The sway bar will have the biggest effect. The factory sway bars use rubber and plastic bushings. The rubber pieces allow the car to tilt some before the bar becomes active. So first thing you might want to try is replacing all the sway bar bushings with poly units.

That helps some and is pretty cheap. Next would be to replace the front bar with a big dog. A solid 35mm will do you right and are about $140 shipped.

If you still have lean and don't want to shell out big bucks for springs and shocks, you can bump the rear sway bar up one size. Too big can make the rear slide around easier under cornering, so don't go too big in the rear.