Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Is it time for new brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 07:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it time for new brakes?

Well, I think its time for new brakes. I have 50000 on the stock ones so I dont think they are doing to well. Whenever I hit the brakes from any speed the whole car shakes really bad and then under 10 mph or so i can hear "rrr rr rrr rr rrr" as i come to a stop. Is it time for new rotors or pads or both? If so, what kind can yall recommend that wont kill my wallet but are still good? Thanks...
Old 06-19-2005, 10:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shaking when applying the brakes generally indicates warped rotors, which you should replace, and most likely it'll be the fronts (actually rule of thumb is that if you feel it in the steering wheel its the fronts, but if you feel it only in the seat then its the rears). While you're in there and considering you've got 50k miles on the stock parts you may as well replace the pads at the same time.

If your car is mainly street-driven then its hard to beat the OEM pads (especially if low noise and dust are a concern). There are also lots of good aftermarket pad choices, but it really comes down to what you want out of a pad. It would be worth your time to do a search here on brake pads - lots of good info and recommendations.

Good bang-for-the-buck rotors are Brembo blanks (available through Tirerack) and Autozone Duralast.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep. time for new rotors! Sponsors have great deals ------------->
I got a set of (4) cross drilled/slotted rotors from IRotor a month ago and I love them!!

Quick Reply: Is it time for new brakes?