Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni Adjustables

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 12:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Koni Adjustables

I was looking at getting a set of koni SA all around, the car has eibach sportline springs but they never changed the shocks. Any complaints about these, i plan on autocrossing? I would also like to know from someone that has them how do you adjust them? Thx in advance.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

i think they are about top of the line, especially since you want to autocross, but they can be adjusted for 1/4 too. I plan on getting them once I have the funds.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SA's work great for autocross, but I'd sell those springs to a non racer. They are (in my opinion, and many others as well) way too low for competitive driving. I'd get the shocks and look at a Hotchkiss spring or even an Eibach pro kit, you'll probably be happier with the results.

To answer your question, they are excellent shocks. I'm currently running Koni's on my car and would gladly buy them again. You adjust the rear shocks by laying the back seat down and turning an adjuster that sticks up from the top of the shock (it's located at the top of the shock shaft, you can still put your seat up normally, it's not that tall), that's for 4th gen rear SA's. For third gen rear sa's, you pull the bottom of the shock loose, compress it, press a button and twist the bottom of the shock into one of 4 positions.

The fronts can be adjusted with a 2.5mm allen wrench, the adjuster is just below the top of the shock, right above the spring (under the fender). I've found that it's easier to use a small floor jack and lift the car a slight bit to reach the adjuster, or that's what works for me.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:49 AM
Staging Lane

Thx alot trackbird that helps alot. I agree about the springs i would'nt have bought those.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

With that said, would it necessarily be bad to run say Koni single adjust or double adjust with sportlines? I do plan on invseting on some DMS springs in the near time future, but this is what I'll have to work with. I want my car to handle well, pretty shitty right now =(
Old 07-14-2005, 10:48 AM
Staging Lane

2001firebird, it wouldn't be bad to run the Koni adj with the sportlines. It is just the that you are a lot lower with sportlines as I had them before I got my hotchkis and koni adj all the way around. the spring rates on the sportlines are not so high on the sportlines that it will hurt the koni's (especially since koni's are the biggest shocks for the f-body). I would just recommend doing it all in one sitting, that is what I did. took about 4-5 hrs total for the whole shock and spring swap with some BS here and there. Also DMS springs? I don't know much about them, but I hear they are good so go for them. I was recommended by Strano to get hotchkis, so i went that route.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have Koni SA's with the stock springs. Replaced the stockers this spring as they had 4.5 years and 70K on them.

No racing or autocross, just some spirited driving from time to time and I wasn't really all that pleased with the new ride. It's definitely firmer and more controlled (less body roll, more damping) but I'm not sure it's a better ride than it was before. I guess for the money, I expected alot more.

My 2 cents....
Old 07-15-2005, 05:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey FormulaBlack: Thanks for the feedback. Yeah I do plan on buying them maybe SA's or DA's not really sure which is best for me. Im just looking for something thats good all around, like sometimes I may want to try autox or hit up Sacramento Raceway for some 1/4s but maybe you could tell me which is best? So in the meantime, I'll end up buying the Konis now, since my ride is feeling very soft. Not to sure when I will be replacing the springs but yeah. But eventually I'll either go with hotchkis springs or DMS cuase theres a thread where people talk about how great the two are. Haha maybe just flip a coin and see whats up?

-ed

Quick Reply: Koni Adjustables