Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bilstein HD's or Strano Revalves?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 08:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Bilstein HD's or Strano Revalves?

I can't decide on which shocks to get. I want a car that handles well but I will never Auto X and this is only a weekend warrior that is stored for the winter. I know the revalves would be great but am wondering if the HD's would be enough for me. I don't mind spending the extra $ if there is a huge difference in handling between the two but if it's just a subtle difference I might and well save some cash. I'm also looking to lower the car about 1"-1.25". Help me spend some money guys! Thanks!
Old 07-14-2005, 09:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It depends a lot on the springs. If they are close to the stock rate, the regular Bilsteins should be OK. The lower you go, the stiffer the spring you need to prevent bottoming out. Then you need a shock that can handle that increased rate.

Don't be afraid of increased rate. A lot of guys find 500lb front springs to ride very well when combined with better shocks. The regular Bilsteins would handle that rate OK, but might be a bit soft. A more firmly valved shock would handle it better.

Bottom line is you need to figure out what you want far as spring rates, then match the shock to the spring.

If you have the money, the Koni SA is a good choice as you can adjust it yourself. Trust me, the difference between full soft and halfway is way more than just subtle. Tweaking it just right makes a big difference in the way the car feels as well as how quickly it can respond to steering wheel input.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:44 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

We'd have to discuss it to know for sure. Because you want to lower the car, that means you are going to have higher rate springs, which is what Revalves were whipped up to deal with (and different springs get different revalves, not one size fits all).

Is there a big difference between HD's and Revalves? I add a bunch of rebound (usually as much or more than SLP does at the high speed end, an a chunk more at the low-speed end), and I also don't soften the bumps like SLP does. So the bump is HD spec, rebound is upped on a case by case basis, an at times as high as 35% more than the HD's. That's not all the time, and yours wouldn't be that high, just pointing out that it's not a small change, and never less than 10% ever at any piston speed and that's as rare the other way since lowering springs need more oomph to damp them. A setup like that would be for someone wanting tighter damping with say stock springs.

Let me add that I sell HD's... and if they are most suitable, then that's what I'd recommend.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion