Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How can I reduce brake fade?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 12:08 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

You are simply overheating your front pads. You not fading your fluid, though having junk in there is not smart and ATE is great bang for the buck.....

It's not your rotors, it's not your brake lines. You are simply asking too much of your stock front pads. Spend $60 on a set of PBR MetalMasters (which I use on my car), or HPS's or HP Plus, or any number of just better brake pads.

Note you do not need go crazy here. And I'm still baffled as to why Trackbird has such issues with HP Plus pads, because most folks love them.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 07-28-2005, 12:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Note you do not need go crazy here. And I'm still baffled as to why Trackbird has such issues with HP Plus pads, because most folks love them.
So am I. But when I clear the traps on a 50 second autocross run and plant the pedal to the floor and can't even lock the wheels/engage the abs. I can't figure out why. There is no air in it and the fluid is fresh. My rotors were purple from heat that weekend after several runs, so I think I'm just overheating them. Beats me.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Does the pedal go to the floor, or stay at normal height?

Autox takes not a lot of brakes, but when we use them they can get hot. My rotors are blue and get heat cracks in them too, but I never faded the stock pads. I submit something is wrong somewhere else.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put a set of Ceramic pads on the front of my car and they are Garbage for stopping. You can get one good stop then they are done. They will be coming off the car here in the next few days.

What would be a good set of rotors to go with along with these pads mentioned above?
Old 07-28-2005, 01:45 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 02 Pewter LS1
I put a set of Ceramic pads on the front of my car and they are Garbage for stopping. You can get one good stop then they are done. They will be coming off the car here in the next few days.

What would be a good set of rotors to go with along with these pads mentioned above?
the rotors aren't the issue, the pads are, so I'm a little uncertain as to why you are wondering what rotors would "go along" with those pads.

Note: Rotors are all iron, they all work. It's just a matter how good the quality of the rotor's metal is. And that's more a durability, warping thing than a stopping power item. The rotor is acted on by the pads. In that function a chinese POS will stop the car too.

We use Brembo OEM replacements. Excellent quality, and extremely durable in terms of resisting warping. Available front and rear both.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the rotors aren't the issue, the pads are, so I'm a little uncertain as to why you are wondering what rotors would "go along" with those pads.

Note: Rotors are all iron, they all work. It's just a matter how good the quality of the rotor's metal is. And that's more a durability, warping thing than a stopping power item. The rotor is acted on by the pads. In that function a chinese POS will stop the car too.

We use Brembo OEM replacements. Excellent quality, and extremely durable in terms of resisting warping. Available front and rear both.

Thanks for the response on this Sam. the only reason I was asking about rotors is because the car has 25,000 miles and the rotors have been turned once. I think it is time for some new ones.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does the pedal go to the floor, or stay at normal height?

Autox takes not a lot of brakes, but when we use them they can get hot. My rotors are blue and get heat cracks in them too, but I never faded the stock pads. I submit something is wrong somewhere else.

I can't say that I've ever paid attention enough to decide if it's on the stops or not. I think I'm putting it on the floor, or nearly so (I'm just not sure which). Maybe I'll bleed them again. It does not seem reasonable that I'm seeing the amount of fade that I've been getting.....
Old 07-28-2005, 05:57 PM
TECH Resident

Thx Sam and trackbird The parts should be here soon let you know if it help with fade issues.

Quick Reply: How can I reduce brake fade?