Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

4 piston calipers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 09:22 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 4 piston calipers?

Is there any place that sells upgraded 4 piston calipers for a 2000 Z28 with 18" wheels and 12" rotors? ... I can't seem to come up with anything!
Old 07-27-2005, 11:20 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See the sticky @ the top of the forum.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:27 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sb427f-car
See the sticky @ the top of the forum.
I concure with Aaron, read the STICKY thread.

Old 07-27-2005, 02:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Id say get the SSBC, but I cant get much of any tech info on their calipers, and I would hate for you to get that kit and it not perform like you wanted. The stoptech and porsche kit look promising, but thats big money.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you already tried the most aggressive pad you can and still need more brake?

If not, I don't see how a 4 piston would help you. Is it just for looks or do you want stopping power?

Also keep in mind that in order to fit a 4 piston caliper you have to switch the rotor to one which is inset more to the inside. That's the only way to get the extra clearance you need. So a stock rotor is not going to work.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

in addition to the above, you must bear in mind that:

1. a big brake kit will not help much with 50-0, since the tire compunds are mostly responsible for that. From about 80 mph is where the big brakes really begin to perform serious assigned duty.

2. You cannot resurface the friction rings, unless you use race pads, and many shops will not accept the work and tell you to perform that work yourself. Stoptech has a programme with resurfacing their rotors, but once again you're on your own concerning labour.

3. Even if the rotor is set more inboard than the OEM configuration, the caliper may still be wide enough that either you need a wheel with a spoke design that it will fit, or use a spacer.

I say to read the stang killers sticky at the top of the fourm, perform a thread search, decide on a manufacturer, then contact the vendors and/or manufacturers for details.

If you're not going AX or RR and don't have the experience, then question yourself if you need big brakes.

Quick Reply: 4 piston calipers?