Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

I searched...rod end vs. poly PHB..

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 11:44 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I searched...rod end vs. poly PHB..

I have to order a PHB when I get back from lunch to get it to the shop in time and I did try a search and didn't find exactly what I was looking for in regards to the PHB. This is my daily driver but I will want to auto x from time to time. I know that the rod ends allow less side to side deflection and make noise eventually, and the poly ends aren't as solid and are more quiet, but is this something that I will even notice? I really just want to put it all together, set it and forget it. I plan to order the Addco from Strano unless someone has a better idea. ADD-PHR-03 is their part number, link:
http://www.stranoparts.com/large_item.php

Anyone care to comment?
Old 08-05-2005, 12:06 PM
TECH Junkie

I do not have experience with the Addco bar so I couldn't comment on that one. I'm using the LG adjustable steel PHR bar with rod ends. My car is not a daily driver, but the noise increase over a BMR with poly was very slight. Also, the LG poly ended parts come with dust boots, which is a nice touch for a daily driver - not sure if this is SOP these days. Also, you might want to check out trackbird's website for some more info.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:56 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the input I really wanted to buy Trackbird's PHB but I was told that aluminum was not nearly as strong as Chrome-moly. Is this not much of a factor?
Old 08-05-2005, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

that aluminum radius rod these guys are making their own out of is almost as strong as the rod ends... why make the middle stronger than the ends?
Old 08-05-2005, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got Spohn Chrome-moly with a poly on one side and a rod end on the other. Nice peice. It did not add much noise. Put the poly end on the body. Use dry lube on the rod end. I got the lube at NAPA.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Adrian87GN
Thanks for the input I really wanted to buy Trackbird's PHB but I was told that aluminum was not nearly as strong as Chrome-moly. Is this not much of a factor?
Obviously the relative strength depends on the size/thickness of the tube, which I don't know offhand, as well as the material and the overall design. I have heard comments regarding flex in some of the aluminum PHR's in the past, but I can't honestly speak to that since it was simply something I remember reading. I'd contact Kevin and get his input on the trackbird parts. Also you may want to do a search over at frrax.com and see what you can dig up on the subject. I know that's not real helpful...