it's only the steering wheel that seems to be bouncing/shaking left to right,
I had my wheels balanced and the car aligned and it's still doing it,
any help

thanks
pat
Old 08-06-2005, 06:34 PM
What's a Sticky?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would take it back to the place where you had the tires balanced and make them recheck it. They should do this for free if you are getting a vibration.

OR if it only happens when you are on the brakes, then you have warped rotors. Also how many miles are on your car? If its kinda high then the tie rod ends might be getting loose. I hope this helps.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:43 AM
11 Second Club

you don't necessarly have to be on the brakes for your front rotors to be shot and for you to see/feel it in the steering wheel... My LS1 rotors seem to be crap and warped to hell, i had people balance my tires 4 seperate times thinkin i didn't do it right after micing the rotors i had excessive runout causing my steering wheel to shake and shimmy only at speeds of 60-65 Mph, Now im on my second set of LS1 rotors and the problems back, This seems to be a common problem with the LS1 brakes so i wouldn't look past them.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought it could be the brakes too, but I just got
new rotors, and the tires are brand new also, as far as the tie rod I'm not sure, car only has 37K miles,

pat
Old 08-09-2005, 09:10 PM
11 Second Club

i'd still check the rotors spec is .002 for runout i had .036 on my brand new rotors i didn't trust returning them for another set so i just cut them down until they were in spec.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SmokedOutZ28
you don't necessarly have to be on the brakes for your front rotors to be shot and for you to see/feel it in the steering wheel... My LS1 rotors seem to be crap and warped to hell, i had people balance my tires 4 seperate times thinkin i didn't do it right after micing the rotors i had excessive runout causing my steering wheel to shake and shimmy only at speeds of 60-65 Mph, Now im on my second set of LS1 rotors and the problems back, This seems to be a common problem with the LS1 brakes so i wouldn't look past them.
you mean to tell me that your car shakes on the highway without hitting the brakes and it was your rotors causing the shaking???
Old 08-09-2005, 10:13 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by qwikz28
you mean to tell me that your car shakes on the highway without hitting the brakes and it was your rotors causing the shaking???
Yes Sir, And being a Automotive tech it suprised the hell out of me but thats how badly warped they were, i now use it as an example so im not so quick to say someone needs a balance when they have a front end shake and shimmy!
Old 08-10-2005, 01:17 PM
TECH Addict

if new brakes fixes my shake and shimmy i will come over to michigan and give you a my car has the same problem, new balance alignment and everything, still not fixed. looks like i need new brakes.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:08 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by qwikz28
if new brakes fixes my shake and shimmy i will come over to michigan and give you a my car has the same problem, new balance alignment and everything, still not fixed. looks like i need new brakes.
Measure the runout first before you go ahead and replace them. and get this when i used the brakes you would ever so slightly get pedal feedback.... all the vibrations and shimmy would be in the steering wheel rather then the brake pedal.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SmokedOutZ28
all the vibrations and shimmy would be in the steering wheel rather then the brake pedal.
are you talking about when you were hitting the brakes or while you were just cruising? my rotors are warped, and the whole car (including the steering wheel) vibrates and such at speeds about 60-70 and sometimes other speeds, even when i'm not hitting the brakes.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:56 PM
11 Second Club

in that phrase i was talking about braking, but my car has a shimmy/vibration at 60-70mph i just don't want to replace another set of LS1 rotors, rims are balanced and i know my align is good so im gonna deal with it until i get a performance set.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:07 PM
TECH Addict

i cant deal with it anymore to be honest. i just put new wheels on it and i wanna be absolutely sure my wheels are straight and such like the wheel shop said they were. i may just have mieneke throw some aftermarket stuff in my car for me while i'm at work or something to see if that fixes it. if not, its definately the rims.

Quick Reply: steering wheel shake