Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What would you do (stuck for over 3 weeks now)

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005 | 10:42 PM
Teching In

Default What would you do (stuck for over 3 weeks now)

Ok, here is my problem. I'm in the middle of installing new poly. bushings on the front end and CANNOT get the front lower control arms out..... I've asked a couple other people about this bolt before but it won't budge. There are 2 bolts in this control arm, one vertical and one horizontal. The horizontal bolts came out with ease, the vertical bolts are seized in! The nut is completely removed from the bolt and the tab on top of the bolt has been removed. No matter what I do, the bolt wont budge, I've tried a 3 pound sledge, PB Blaster, air hammer, Jacking under the bolt will start to lift the whole car!!!!
I cannot slide the bolt side to side in its slot at all either. I am open to ANY ideas here. I do not have an acetylene torch but fear that is my only option. A sawzall wont cut through the bolt and my grinder wont fit in there. PLEASE HELP ME. I haven't been driving for over 3 weeks because of this bolt!!!!
Attached Thumbnails What would you do (stuck for over 3 weeks now)-example.jpg  
Old 08-07-2005 | 11:15 PM
TECH Veteran
20 Year Member

Dont shoot at me but it looks as though it is hitting the floor pan on the side. I had a bitch of a time on my car. I wound up pulling the knuckle off then dropping out the spring shock combo. But from what it sounds you may have already done that since you are installing bushings. If it is the floor pan it's hitting hammer the lower control arm as far back as possible since the hole is slotted then take an air hammer with a pointed tip and drive it up. It looks like it will be a pita where the hell are you at it looks like the suspension has tons off rust that really makes it a beatch. good luck though
Old 08-08-2005 | 09:12 AM
Staging Lane

Ding ding ding, we have a winner. It is hitting the body of the underbody. I had to undo my kmember...fix this by installing the bolt the other way when installing...and use locktite.
Old 08-08-2005 | 01:23 PM
Teching In

Well, I live in Pittsburgh PA which does make working on cars SUCK!!! snow/salt is the worst, this car is only 9 years old and look at that control arm! But from your suggestions I don't think it is the bolt hitting the floorpan on this situation. There is enough room between the bolthead and the floor for me to get a socket and breaker bar on the drivers side arm, ive tried this and put a pipe on the breaker bar to try to twist the bolt slightly, the only thing that happened is i bent the pipe. I think if the bolt started to come up at all it would eventually hit the floor, but its definitely not there yet. Also i can' manage to get the arm to slide at all. And ALL of the components are off the front end, the only thing left are these control arms. oh yeah....i really hope i dont have to undo my Kmember......this is so much more than i wanted to deal with.
Old 08-08-2005 | 01:26 PM
Teching In

Attached Thumbnails What would you do (stuck for over 3 weeks now)-ex2.jpg