Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Earls SS brake lines on TC car

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 10:57 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Earls SS brake lines on TC car

The standard Earls kit of Stainless brake lines are sold for non-traction controlled cars. I've been told that for TC cars you can use the kit but only use the 4 SS lines for the calipers and not use the 5th line.

Is this correct?

thanks

Harry
Old 08-09-2005, 05:04 PM
TECH Addict

For TC you will need 6 lines. 1 for each caliper, then 2 going from the chasis to the rear end.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:26 PM
Launching!

Will running only 4 lines help braking at all though? I ordered the earls kit too but think I have to get the two lines custom made through Bonoco or something, but I really don't want to if it is not going to make a differance.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:31 PM
TECH Addict

My guess would be the four at the corners would be better than none at all.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:16 PM
Launching!

I had a friend who's a mechanic and service adviser at my local GM dealer install the four outer braided lines.

He told me not to bother getting the other two (from the chassis to the differential) as I always have the ASR turned off. The only time these lines are used is when the ASR is activated and a loss of traction is detected.

Russell sells a braided stainless brake kit for traction controlled f-bodies and you can get them through a number of shops. These come with all 6 lines but they run about $135 or almost twice as much as the 5 line kit from Earls.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by beaSSt
He told me not to bother getting the other two (from the chassis to the differential) as I always have the ASR turned off. The only time these lines are used is when the ASR is activated and a loss of traction is detected.

Actually, those lines are used every time you touch the brakes. That's how the brake pressure gets from the front to the rear. How else would fluid get from the hard brake line to the hard line on the axle housing?

The reason ASR/TCS cars have those two lines, is because the ABS can control each wheel seperatly (4 channel ABS). The non-ASR cars only have one line, but the ABS can not control the rear wheels individually, therefore they only need one line (3 channel ABS).

Quick Reply: Earls SS brake lines on TC car