Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rotor Question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rotor Question.

Well I sent my rotors back to GMpartsdirect.com because they gave me the wrong ones. They said GM boxed the wrong ones up, so it was the correct part # on the box, with the wrong part in the box. Ended up the factory did this to a whole lot of brake rotors.

They were supposed to give me new rotors when they found a set that had not been screwed up by the factory. I get a call from them today and they tell me that they got the rotors to fit onto a 1999 Camaro. I really cannot believe they got them to fit on there myself. My problem was that the caliper would not slide on there with the new pads.

My problem was that I might have been able to get the caliper onto the rotor with a 5 pound sledge and a 2 foot screw driver beating and bending it on there. This didn't seem right to me, so I decided not not risk damaging the caliper.

So the caliper should have slid on there fairly easily, right? Is there any difference between the V6 and V8 brakes? They put the rotors onto a V6 car, and claim that there isn't a differece between the brakes.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On the 98 and up cars, the brakes are the same on both V6 adn V8. I'd check to see if your slider pins are stuck, that's usually the cause of "my caliper won't fit with new pads" problems (about 99% of the time). I'd start there.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

If the slider pins are stuck, do I have to get new ones? Or is there a way to get them to move and work?
Old 08-23-2005, 12:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by AronZ28
If the slider pins are stuck, do I have to get new ones? Or is there a way to get them to move and work?
If you can get them out of the bracket, you may be able to clean them up with steel wool, clean out the hole in the PAB with some brake clean, dry thoroughly and relube the pins. Usually you will need to replace the pins and PAB and that will take care of it. It depends on how stuck the pins are and how bad things look.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You did push the pistons back in the caliper right?
Old 08-23-2005, 02:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by stang killer
You did push the pistons back in the caliper right?
Now that I reread the first post, I probably should have asked that first (or at all)......
Old 08-23-2005, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by trackbird
Now that I reread the first post, I probably should have asked that first (or at all)......
Psh... details...
Old 08-24-2005, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

YES I DID PUSH THE PISTIONS BACK INTO THE CALIPERS. I'm not that big of a goof ball. Anyways, I think gmparts direct are yanking my chain. I didn't send the parts back to them in the factory boxes(I threw them away a couple of months ago when I recieved the rotors). When I talked to them they had their panties all up in a wad over that. I need to figure out where their little hole in the wall office/shop/warehouse/child molster shed is and call the cops.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AronZ28
YES I DID PUSH THE PISTIONS BACK INTO THE CALIPERS. I'm not that big of a goof ball. Anyways, I think gmparts direct are yanking my chain. I didn't send the parts back to them in the factory boxes(I threw them away a couple of months ago when I recieved the rotors). When I talked to them they had their panties all up in a wad over that. I need to figure out where their little hole in the wall office/shop/warehouse/child molster shed is and call the cops.
That seems a tad extreme... what are they doing? Not sending you rotors at all?