Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

C5 and C6 Brake Questions

Old 08-31-2005, 11:02 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 and C6 Brake Questions

Hey Guys...

I'm thinking seriously about doing a C5 or C6 brake package swap on my project vehicle, a 1999 Olds Bravada. The caliper brackets and such will be all me, but I've got some questions about GM parts.

Anybody have GM part numbers for:
1.) C6 standard front rotors. (Left & Right). Same diameter as C5 (12.8") but I hear the factory rotors are heavier than the C5 rotors.
2.) C6 Z51 front rotors. (left & right). Should be 13.4" diameter.
3.) C6 calipers (both std and Z51, if they're different, and left & right, again if they're different)

Anybody have any information about the availability of C6 Z51 rotors WITHOUT holes? (for track use and such) Most of the places I've looked for info so far haven't released the C6 parts yet.

Thanks in advance.

'Dreamin'
Old 09-01-2005, 08:23 PM
TECH Resident

Anybody????? Bueller????

'Dreamin'
Old 09-05-2005, 05:53 PM
Teching In

The little bit I've read indicate the C6 and C5 calipers are mechanically the same.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And the Z51 C6 uses two right hand rotors (or two lefts, I think it's two rights) and one spins backwards. Not the best choice in my opinion.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:20 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by trackbird
And the Z51 C6 uses two right hand rotors (or two lefts, I think it's two rights) and one spins backwards. Not the best choice in my opinion.
I have found that out....Does seem to be pretty dumb. I've heard the a factory excuse that the difference in cooling performance is pretty small (under 10%) but c'mon, this is the performance package, can't they do better?

Couple that with the fact that the factory rotors are drilled (and I don't like that either) and its not looking like a good option. Add to that the fact that there don't seem to be aftermarket replacements available anywhere yet (Brembos, Autozone specials, anybody for that matter).

I have heard conflicting rumors that the C5 and C6 calipers are either exactly the same or an upgraded casting. Anybody got any solid info?

Also, the other rumor I'd like to get resolved is that the standard C6 rotors are basically the same as the C5's, but have been revised to solve some problems. 1st revision, the offset is the same, but the method of getting there is different to help "coning" effect. 2nd revision is they're about 2lbs heavier per rotor. Assuming (y'know what that does) that they're still a left and right set, 2 lbs heavier has got to put more metal in the fire path, making them a better rotor. Anybody have any subtance on that???

'Dreamin'

Search this Thread