Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need HELP Cant fig out why car sits lower on one side.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Need HELP Cant fig out why car sits lower on one side.

Need HELP Cant fig out why car sits lower on one side.

I still havent put the BMR springs back in the rear. (been too lazy) Currently there are stock springs (no rubber boot that goes around top, couldnt get the rear low enough to get the springs over the perches on the 12bolt, so i put them in w/ out the rubber cups) on the rear. The passenger side sits lower on front and back then the driver side. I have no clue as to why. Even when the BMR springs were in the rear, the passenger side still sat lower. The car has Bilstein's that are a couple years old, but there are no signs of fluid leaking from them.

Drivers Side Front

Passenger Side Front

Driver Side Rear

Passenger Side Rear

Passenger Side Rear

Driver Side Rear
Old 09-02-2005, 05:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Springs? Shocks? They may be bad.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:11 AM
12 Second Club

i think some other people on here had this problem when they lowered their cars. You can probably dig some of those threads up while you are waiting for responses here.
Old 09-04-2005, 02:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let me first state that the factory makes these cars sit about 1/8"-1/4" higher on the driver side. My guess is that it's there to compensate for the drivers weight. At stock ride height you can see the difference, but once you lower the car it becomes more noticable. That's why people assume that the lowering is the cause, but it just makes something that was there more noticable.

Now also keep in mind that spring rates and ride heights have a certain tolerance so new springs may be off a little also. Judging from your car, you definetely have a problem that needs to be address. (why can't everyone who posts about this provide such nice pics?).

Before anyone suspects the front, lets focus on the rear. In a lot of cases if you fix the rear heights the fronts will fall in line.

First, you might try swapping the rear springs from left to right and see what that does.

Second, make sure the rear springs are rotated the same direction. When the end of the pigtails are pressing on the rear of the spring pad they will sit lower. When you rotate the springs 180* so that the pigtails are on the front of the spring pad it raises the height. So I would rotate the driver side rear spring so that the pigtail is to the rear and the passenger side so that the pigtail is on the front. Also make sure the springs are seated properly over the dimple up top. See if that makes a difference.

If you were going to keep those springs I'd say add some heater hose to the top coil of the lower side. That helps a tiny bit. If you are going to be replacing the rear springs soon, I would just wait and see how they look when in place.

If the car is still way off, we can fix it then. There are several different ways.
Old 09-04-2005, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Let me first state that the factory makes these cars sit about 1/8"-1/4" higher on the driver side. My guess is that it's there to compensate for the drivers weight. At stock ride height you can see the difference, but once you lower the car it becomes more noticable. That's why people assume that the lowering is the cause, but it just makes something that was there more noticable.

Now also keep in mind that spring rates and ride heights have a certain tolerance so new springs may be off a little also. Judging from your car, you definetely have a problem that needs to be address. (why can't everyone who posts about this provide such nice pics?).

Before anyone suspects the front, lets focus on the rear. In a lot of cases if you fix the rear heights the fronts will fall in line.

First, you might try swapping the rear springs from left to right and see what that does.

Second, make sure the rear springs are rotated the same direction. When the end of the pigtails are pressing on the rear of the spring pad they will sit lower. When you rotate the springs 180* so that the pigtails are on the front of the spring pad it raises the height. So I would rotate the driver side rear spring so that the pigtail is to the rear and the passenger side so that the pigtail is on the front. Also make sure the springs are seated properly over the dimple up top. See if that makes a difference.

If you were going to keep those springs I'd say add some heater hose to the top coil of the lower side. That helps a tiny bit. If you are going to be replacing the rear springs soon, I would just wait and see how they look when in place.

If the car is still way off, we can fix it then. There are several different ways.
Thanks for the info. This weekend I put the BMR lowering springs back in the rear. I inspected all bushings on the shocks and all were fine. This time I made sure the pig tails on the springs were facing the same direction. After putting it back down, I drove around to let the springs "settle". Both sides are now sitting evenly again.

Go fig. I think I'll just chalk it up to my car was PMS'ing.
Old 09-04-2005, 03:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did the new rear springs fix the front difference as well? Usually that is the case.

Quick Reply: Need HELP Cant fig out why car sits lower on one side.