Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

if you have a big brake kit....

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 05:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by qwikz28
...could you inform me about the feel of the kit. by feel i mean does the pedal become softer and more touch sensitive. its something that has always bothered me about my car and if it means getting a big brake kit and new brake lines to solve it, i will. i am in desperate need of new brakes and i wanna know if i should begin allocating money into the big brake fund any feedback is very much appreciated.
qwikz28
Keep in mind that much of the upgrade produced in most companies "Big Brake Upgrade" is done so by matching a caliper within certain limits to function with the O.E. Master Cylinder. Since this upgrade is usually done to supply a more robust clamping force, thus improving stopping distance. One must remember to consider the volume requirment in the "New calipers" and how it will effect brake pedal feel and height.

Note: If your BBK does not include a MC but the calipers have been upgraded to support more volume and more clamping force....a slightly lower pedal can be expected depending on how much of a sq. area change was made. Other factors related to the performance parts of the BBK counteract this though i.e. (SS Flex lines, Aluminum alloy fixed pos. calipers....etc.)
Old 09-12-2005, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JasonWW
I don't have 2K for a big brake kit nor do I like spending, what, $300 per rotor or so for a replacement? I'm glad I don't need a big brake kit, it would suck up all my money.
Ah but yes, the 300 bucks isn't for the rotor, but rather the friction ring part of the rotor. At least for StopTech, it's only ~230 each, which comes with a new mounting kit (the rotor bell studs).

Sorry, had to clarify. I knew that you were talking about the parts that are easily consumed on a regular basis, however if the rotor bell somehow get's screwed up (not easily, but has happened on occasion) then the "whole" rotor get's mighty expensive.

In essence the OEM caliper cannot withstand too much beyond a moderate amount of aggresive driving, so in cases like these, the C5 is more than feasible for most drivers. Point in case, don't do any driving that will generate too much heat for an OEM brake system to handle.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have 2K for a big brake kit nor do I like spending, what, $300 per rotor or so for a replacement? I'm glad I don't need a big brake kit, it would suck up all my money.
It definetly depends upon your usage.

If you have to drag a spare set of rotors and pads with you to an event because what you have will warp, crack or glaze, then all of a sudden, you are spending 25% of the cost of big brakes on replacement parts ... parts that are gonna warp, crack or glaze.

With no change in driving style, I was able to get 10x the life out of rotors I was getting with the best of what anyone was offering for OEM or OEm replacement. I was get 5x or more life out of brake pads.

Just because you have to replace pads and rotors after every weekend's event, doesn't mean you will have to do the same thing with big brakes.

I had my Prospeed (Porsche 996TT brakes) on my car for over 2 years and thousands of track miles.

I replaced rotors 1 time ($185 ea) and race pads 1 time ($225 set). When I sold the brake kit, it was as if they were brand new ...

Before you scoff at the initial cost, do the math over the long haul ...

Pay me now and don't worry about it or pay me later ... over and over and over and over ...

http://frrax.com/rrforum/index.php?act=ST&f=13&t=5286&

The best bang for the buck brake package available. Rotors and pads are easy to source, unlike some other kits.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The kit that's on my car came from Precision Brakes and is a custom 6 piston wilwood kit. I've been happy with it.

Last edited by trackbird; 09-16-2005 at 12:35 PM.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Some folks swap only pads at the track. You have to choose them wisely to be compatible, but there are certain combo's that work.

Hopefully everyone gets my point about expensive replacement parts. Once you move up to the BBK everything gets more expensive. I would rather go through a set or two of regular parts just to make sure that they are "not enough" before spending a big wad on the BBK.

qwikz28, has not posted back what he does with the car, but if it is less that some type of road racing, I would rather he try some aggressive pads like I have and add some cooling ducts then see if that cures his problems.

His problems may also be user created, by braking later than he should or something. I want to hear what he has to say about his intended use and under what conditions he cracked the rotor.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hopefully everyone gets my point about expensive replacement parts. Once you move up to the BBK everything gets more expensive. I would rather go through a set or two of regular parts just to make sure that they are "not enough" before spending a big wad on the BBK.
Can you not comprehend that even if the replacement parts for BBKs are twice as expensive as decent OEM replacements, but last 10 times as long, it is actually cheaper?

But it does depend greatly on your useage. It makes no sense to install big brakes on a daily driver or even on an AX car that sees 2 or 3 events a year.

But, if you got through 4 or 5 sets of rotors and pads a year, it definitely makes fiscal sense.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Mitch, I know it would be cheaper "in the long run", but only if you are going through sets of rotors and pads quickly. It is a simple concept to grasp. I don't know why you think I don't understand it.

I just said make sure that you DO go through merely 1 or 2 sets of parts to ake sure. Don't just assume you're are going to need the BBK. That's my point.

I was considering the Vette rotor upgrade, but since I tried the more agressive pads I found it it was unecessary for me. So I saved some money. I think it's a good idea to improve your brakes gradually to see what your needs are rather than jumping into a BBK based on assumptions. If I had done that, I would be losing money hand over fist. Even in the long run.

Last edited by JasonWW; 09-15-2005 at 09:26 PM.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:35 PM
Teching In

Who says you have to spend $2000.00 for the 98-02 Camaro? We have kits as low as $849.15 with 13" rotors and 4 piston Wilwood Superlite calipers, SS Flex..etc. We have a whole lot of options including Race Ready kits for this car. Highest price kit we have for this Gen is $2,199.00 but it includes Monster 14" rotors by 1.250" thick and 4 piston "Billet" Superlites. Tons of options in between though including 2 pce hats and rotors.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Laramie,

Can you tell me, on your Wilwood SL6/C4HD kits (I have one of your kits that I bought used from a friend), do you use a caliper that will take a 1.25" rotor, or the version for a 1.10? I would like to upgrade my kit to use the C5 rotors if possible. And, if possible, do you sell the brackets/spacers that I'd need for the job (if I can use my existing calipers). I looked for a number on the calipers, and didn't see one, nor did I see an easy way to measure them to be able to tell.

Thanks!

Kevin
Old 09-16-2005, 11:42 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by trackbird
Laramie,

Can you tell me, on your Wilwood SL6/C4HD kits (I have one of your kits that I bought used from a friend), do you use a caliper that will take a 1.25" rotor, or the version for a 1.10? I would like to upgrade my kit to use the C5 rotors if possible. And, if possible, do you sell the brackets/spacers that I'd need for the job (if I can use my existing calipers). I looked for a number on the calipers, and didn't see one, nor did I see an easy way to measure them to be able to tell.

Thanks!

Kevin
Yes. The calipers we use will work with multiple rotor thickness's. It actually fits .810", 1.00", 1.10", 1.25", and 1.38". So your calipers should work fine as well. Do you have the SL4 or SL6 calipers? Either way it will work.

As you probably know the C4HD uses 13.00" rotors stock and the C4 (exc. HD) use 12.00" rotors. Either way I will assume you know that the C5 rotors are 325mm or 12.81" stock. Were you wanting to go with the O.E. size C5 rotors? If so. Then yes...you will need brackets, spacers, and new hardware. Where do you plan on getting the rotors? I have them in 2 pce that would kick some serious A@% on your car!

In this picture you can see the rotors as they are in the 2 pce option.

Or did you want something 1 pce?
Old 09-16-2005, 12:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have your SL6 (6 piston) Wilwood kit with C4HD rotors. I wanted to use factory C5 rotors to start, and may look into a 2 piece setup down the road. So, I am guessing I'll just need brackets, spacers and rotors. Can you PM me (or e-mail to trackbirdengineering(at)columbus.rr.com) prices on the parts I need? (of course, I just put new rotors and pads on the car two weeks ago, oh well). I might just use the GM rotors (they have a set for $19 each that have worked well with the C5 conversion kits). I appreciate your time.

Sorry for the hijack.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Laramie, I appreciate the help on the phone (it's much easier and faster than working through the forums) and I look forward to working with you in the near future (since I can't ask for anything easy ).

Guys, Laramie at precision brakes should be able to fix you up with almost anything you need (I just got off the phone with him). If you're looking for brake kits, you may want to give them a call (I've been happy with mine). There are lots of great choices out there, but it never hurts to have another one.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:07 PM
Teching In

Default New Member

Hi Guys,

My name is Ben Sekora. I am a technical sales representative with Precison Brakes Company. I'm here to help Ltorres with PBC's responsibilities to LS1TECH and its members. I look forward to chating with you.

Thanks so much,

Ben Sekora

Sales Representative

Precision Brakes Company

541-482-2604

Fax 541-482-2873

1-866-992-7253

www.precisionbrakescompany.com

bens@precisionbrakescompany.com
Old 09-20-2005, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

What is the price of the Wilwood 6 piston Billet Superlight kit? Does it come with all needed hardware to get up and running?
Old 09-21-2005, 03:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whats the price on the kit pictured? your website has me confused
Old 09-21-2005, 12:15 PM
Teching In

Default PBC 6-Piston

Originally Posted by Mike 01WS6
What is the price of the Wilwood 6 piston Billet Superlight kit? Does it come with all needed hardware to get up and running?
The Precision Brakes Company 13" 6 Piston kit retails $1399. The application is available from the GP Superstore for $1189.15. The kit does include all the hardware you need for installation. Either way PBC offers LS1TECH members free shipping and a six pack of Wilwood 570 Race fluid.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:29 PM
Teching In

Default PBC Picture

Originally Posted by qwikz28
whats the price on the kit pictured? your website has me confused
The picture is of a powder coated, two-piece, 13", 4 piston Superlite kit which retails for $1199 plus $150 for powder. It is available from the GP Superstore for $1019.15 plus $150. As always, PBC offers LS1TECH members free shipping and a six pack of Wilwood 570 Race fluid.