Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Awful Squeak From Wilwoods?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Awful Squeak From Wilwoods?

I bought my car with the Wilwood front brake setup already installed. It seems like if I am doing some heavy brake applications and really get them heated up, they will start to make the most awful brake squeak until they have a chance to cool down. Anyone elese have this problem?
Old 09-06-2005, 12:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any idea what pads are on them? It sounds like you got them with a set of "real" race pads in there. I have Carbotech XP1108's in my Wilwoods now. Ice cold they are quiet, as they warm up, they begin to squeak/howl (driving in light traffic in a 45 mph zone) and as they get warmer, more noise. Until they get hot, then they quiet down again....
Old 09-06-2005, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I dont have any idea what pads are on there, but there is still plenty of life on them. The rotors look worn though, they also feel warped at times.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think thats normal squeak on the racey compound pads.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slayer6x6
I dont have any idea what pads are on there, but there is still plenty of life on them. The rotors look worn though, they also feel warped at times.

If you go make a few hard stops (60-5 mph) back to back, you'll probably get rid of that warped feeling. I'm guessing you are feeling a bit of a "surge" when you stop, but no vibration in the pedal. If it's a vibration in the pedal, you may not be able to fix it with my suggestion.

I'm sure you have an aggressive pad on there from what you've said, they will make noise. I'd suggest looking into the most "basic" wilwood pad or Ferodo does a DS2500, they may do a slightly less aggressive compound for them as well. Sam Strano is a Ferodo dealer, you might see what he has. Or, Hawk makes the HP+ pads (mine were terribly noisy) and they might make an HPS pad as well (I don't know, but I'd check). That's my best guess. Or, call Carbotech and see if they can build you pads with a street compound on them (I'm sure they can, they can make about anything), but you'll have to grind a notch in the backing plate unless you have old pads to send them (that's what I just did). They will use the backing plates for the 4 piston superlight calipers. They are identical, but the 6 piston have a notch in the middle of the back edge of the pad for the bridge bolt (the bolt that holds them in) and the 4 piston is slightly different so you have to grind the tab off and make room for the bolt/notch for the 6 piston. It's easy to use your old ones as a template though (if you have a bench grinder).

Just some ideas to consider.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Very useful info, Thanks!

Quick Reply: Awful Squeak From Wilwoods?