Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Installing boltin SFC's -Do I jack the car up?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 01:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing boltin SFC's -Do I jack the car up?

I am planning on installing bolt in subframe connectors(3 point). How do i lift the car to get under it? Will jacking it up be ok?
Old 09-10-2005, 09:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ideally you want the suspension loaded so that the weight of the car will bow the body structure to it's normal resting state. Then attach the connectors. Have you ever jacked one side and noticed the door gap change?
If you jack up the car you tend to distort the body shape. If you added the connectors then, once you lowered the car back down it would stress the body and connectors and the car may not return to it's normal resting state.

It's best to find a drive on lift or else use ramps to get the car level. Have you considered taking them to a muffler shop, use their drive on lift and have them welded on? Welding is the better way to go.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Heres how i did my bolt ons.

I jacked the car up and mounted the rear part of the subframe on the LCA then lowered the car back down and took a marker and marked all the holes that needed to be drille which was four 2 in the front and 2 in the back. Then i took the subframe back off and jacked the car up so i and the drill could get under. Then just drilled the 4 holes out. Then lowered the car again and installed the bolts. This was the best way i could think of for doing it in the driveway. Like stated above you don't want the car in the air when you mount them you want the suspension loaded.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove the front on ramps, put in the SFCs, backed off the ramps and tightened the bolts.(yes there is enough room)
You definately want the suspension loaded before tightening the hardware

Quick Reply: Installing boltin SFC's -Do I jack the car up?