Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

LCA relocation brackets at wrong angle?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 02:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LCA relocation brackets at wrong angle?

Is it possible to install the relocation brackets to where they hinder performance and driveability? Does some one have any good info as to how these are properly installed. Is there a measurement that I can verify. Mine look as if they slope to the rear. The bottom being further back and the top being towards the front. Any tech info would be great.

Also is there a measurenent on the minimum distance the Drive Shaft needs to travel (front to back)? Is there a proper set up? I think I have the Axle too far back or too far up.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:27 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't see how it could be too critical, as long as you got them both on the same way. You probably should have at least 1.5" of the drive shaft inside the transmission, and the panhard bar shouldn't rub the differential cover, nor should the tires rub the fenders. LCA angle should be roughly parallel with the pavement. Make sure the torque arm is not about to pull out of it's bushing.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Can they be welding on at the wrong angle or does the design prevent that?
Old 09-19-2005, 08:09 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The bottom of the relocation bracket should be further forward than the top. The reason for this is the holes in the bracket should line up with the travel arc of the lower control arm. This means when you take the lower control arm bolt out of the rearend and move it down, the bolt hole in the lower control arm is going to move forward as it goes down. Hope this helps!!

Lee Spicher
lee@bmrfabrication.com

Allan Miller
President
BMR Suspension
www.bmrsuspension.com
(813) 986-9302
Old 09-19-2005, 09:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

The way I see it, the middle hole should not be more forward than the stock top hole. That would only make sense if it were installed on a stock height car.

On a lowered car the hole that makes the arm level should be directly below the stock hole. When the car is lowered, the axle will move forward a small amount. Once you move the arm to be level, the second (if that's the hole that gets the arm level) hole will cause the whole axle to be moved to the rear some. Look at it like this. If you lower the car exactly 1.5" you need a LCA mounting hole to be exactly 1.5" lower. That will keep the axle in the stock front to rear location.

Also, depending on how much lower the new ride height is, the arc of the lower holes will change. There is no one arc that will work with all the cars.

It looks as if the BMR's only use a small arc that only changes the axle center 1/8" or so. I doubt that would be visable with the naked eye. I mean you could move the whole axle forward or rearward a good 1/2" and not be too noticable. I think the industries standard 1/8" to 1/4" difference in hole spacing front to rear on the lower 2 holes is negligible. I'm guessing you guys base it on a vehicle lowering of 1" to 1.5" and make your arc based on that. It may not be perfect, but it is close enough and works on the vast majority of cars out there.

I'd like to hear your take on the arc situation. It's not often I get to ask the companies that make these types of products.

Jason