Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Kyb Agx Adjustable Struts/shocks

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 05:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Kyb Agx Adjustable Struts/shocks

Did anyone have any luck with these? I know the Koni is a great setup, but for half the price I am considering these. Let me know your opinions, really leaning toward getting them. Thanks.
Old 09-23-2005, 06:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just installed them last night. So far I like them a lot more than the QA1's I had. I have them with stock springs. Removed the rear isolator pads and cut 3/4 of a coil off the fronts. Can't beat them for $300
Old 09-23-2005, 08:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JUNK!!!
just as Sam Strano, bilsteins are much better
Old 09-23-2005, 09:30 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BillS
JUNK!!!
just as Sam Strano, bilsteins are much better
Have you tried them?
Not everyone has adjustable Bilsteins like yourself.

For a inexpensive adjustable shock they seem to be working great so far
Old 09-23-2005, 11:02 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

No offense, but you've had them on a day NoJuice. And you replaced what are terrible dampers with something better, so of course you are liking them. They are better than what you had.

For the record, Bilstein doesn't have adjustable shocks. But you can get a set of Bilstein's for about the same price as the AGX's, we do sell both as well as others too. The Bilstein is a much better quality shock with pretty good damping for stock springs. When the springs get stiffer or the owner is more wanting of handling is when we Revalve them or use Koni's.

There is a reason that adjsutable KYB's cost the same as non-adjustable Bilstein's, and that Koni's cost more than either. You truly do get what you pay for.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 09-23-2005, 11:19 AM
On The Tree

Ok, I don't do too much aggressive cornering. I am looking for better than stock ride and handling that doesn't have to be ***** to the wall. I figure that is what the Koni's and other higher priced shocks are for, the guy that carves corners. How this isn't me on a daily basis I am looking more for a middle of the road shock at a middle of the road price. That is why I was asking about the KYBs. Bilsteins sound good too, Sam I will check out your site later and see what you have. Thanks No Juice and BillS for the input. I appreciate all your help.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:24 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I might suggest you actually call me on our tech-line. That way I can actually explain the differences between the different products and with some more input about what you want can make a recommendation to get you the correct items for what you want from the car. A website can't do that (nor do I want it to).

Remember that the Koni's are the best dampers and give the most flexibility if you'd later want to change springs, or even alter the handling and ride with stock springs. But also, a thing that helps with the cost is the fact a number of folks want to lower their cars a bit. The Koni's are more expensive, but also allow you about a 3/4" drop in front and a 1/2" in the rear without having to buy springs. So Koni's vs. some other shock meant for lowering springs + the springs works out at a similar price, but with a better ride, excellent handling, and the ability to tweak things to your liking.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 09-23-2005, 11:27 AM
TECH Addict

I completely agree with you Sam. You are right I have had them only one day, but the car does ride a hell of a lot better than it did. It may not ride as well as the Konis but I wouldn't know that since I have not had the chance to ride in a car with them. I'd love to have the Konis, I even pm'd you a couple times about them, but I had to get the car back on the road and I had to make a choice whether to spend $300 or over $700. I spent a lot on the QA1's the first time around and was not happy them, so you can understand the desicion to go with something much cheaper. So if I'm not happy with them later on down the road I'm not kicking myself for spending a lot. The KYB may not be as good as the Bilsteins either, but they do offer the adjustablility for those who do like to dabble in drag racing a couple times a year, which the bilsteins do not.
Not many people on here have tried the KYB's so I said what the hell and gave them a try. So far so good, no complaints. They may be an option for some people, and I'll be sure to post up if I have any bad reviews just like I did with the $700 QA1's.

I do know that Bilsteins are not adjustable but in BillS's sig it says "Bilstein shocks converted to adj."
Old 09-23-2005, 11:40 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I wish I wouldn't had the opprotunity to sell you the AGX's. I carry them too!

I have no doubt you like them better than what you had, the QA1's are just not good dampers. But not buying Koni's because you overspent on the QA1's wasn't really a fair comparison. After all, if you look at Koni's pedigree, the fact that high end and race cars around the world use them and then realize that QA1's have no pedigree and are known to be nothing at all special, I'm not sure that was sound reasoning.

BillS's shocks were converted by a company long since out of business, not Bilstein. And there aren't Bilstein adjustables, but I see where that came from now I missed it before.

Old 09-23-2005, 04:33 PM
TECH Resident

I have them lowered with DMS spring. There are much better than stock. If your on a budget like me they were a great choice.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:00 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

DeCarbons=McDonald's hamburger
KYB AGX's= Quarter Pounder
Bilstein's= A Ribeye
Revalved Bilstein's/Koni's= Prime Rib.

Old 09-23-2005, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
DeCarbons=McDonald's hamburger
KYB AGX's= Quarter Pounder
Bilstein's= A Ribeye
Revalved Bilstein's/Koni's= Prime Rib.

THANKS! That is actually something I can relate to. Thanks to everyone who posted here. The only problem is that I am on a budget and really don't have the $700 to spend on just shocks. That is why I was considering the AGX shocks. I can relate to your point on lowering with Koni's that makes sense too, just not enough bills in my wallet right now. Sam I noticed you carry Tokico, better than the KYB's? Forgot to mention earlier I also have Suspension Techniques sway bars (not sure diameter came with car) and a STB if that affects my shock decision. Thanks to everyone who is helping me to make the right decision! Justin.
Old 09-24-2005, 06:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have some of the KYB AGX's on a 1G Eclipse my wife and I are building. The Eclipse came from the factory with some non-adjustable KYB's, The factory KYB's were not that great but lasted for a long time before blowing, The adjustable ones are definitely an improvement over stock on the Mitsubishi. I have less than 'no clue' how a Camaro would do with them, but the Eclipse seems to do well with them... The price was right and I was glad we got them.

I have read many times that (in the case of the DSM's) KYB AGX's do not like to be lowered more than an inch or so. We dropped our DSM exactly 1" so this was not really a concern for us. If you plan to lower your Camaro a lot with the KYB's you may have problems with them. Just something to think about...
Old 09-24-2005, 02:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have KYB AGX's on the front of the ws6 which are about 1500 miles old.

if you like to corner, these are the shocks for you. if you like straight line, keep looking for a new shocks.

i'll sell mine for 150 plus shipping if your looking for a set

Quick Reply: Kyb Agx Adjustable Struts/shocks