Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

I did my Brakes, yet still have issues, HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005 | 05:17 PM
Teching In

Question I did my Brakes, yet still have issues, HELP

Hello all..
So with the help of the write up on brake rotor and pad replacement using installuniversity....I am now needing to ask for help...

I replaced the front and rear rotors with ones bought from Kragen..
I also replaced my front and rear pads...
The job is so easy to do, but I still have some issues when braking.

So I must ask...after replacing with new rotors on front and rear...When I brake, I have a slight shake in my steering wheel.

How can I decern if this is due to front or rear rotors? Also, can new rotors still be in need of being TURNED....
Also..for the front brake pads...I know I have the inners and outer pads on correct...but as far as the inner pads, is there a left and right inner pad...I mean do the front inner brake pads have a certain side (left or right wheel) that they need to be on.

So far the brake job works..no squeeks, but I wonder if I need to turn the (new) rotors a bit on a lathe to cure my steering wheel shake...

any help would be awesome
Old 10-01-2005 | 05:36 PM
TECH Resident

concerning the left or right side pad sepecific, as i recall when i did mine they were only to go on one way....did this shake occur just after you did brakes/?
Old 10-03-2005 | 10:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by boondiggys
concerning the left or right side pad sepecific, as i recall when i did mine they were only to go on one way....did this shake occur just after you did brakes/?
I know for certain that the front outer brakepads(left and right side) I installed are on correct.
Its the front inner pads (left and right side) that I did not take any special notice too and perhaps I think this may be causing the shake.

As far as shaking over all..
Before the brake job severe shakes (due to way worn front rotors and pads).
After the brake job, just a brief shake...It seems that when there cold, no issues. But if I have been driving some and its not cold outside, Iget a shake issue....

I am leading to believe its **** POOR new rotors I have on that cant take heat for ****.

I new I should have purchased some better rotors...
Me thinks I will just get the front rotors turned a bit and retry them untill they are in need of replacing...

Thanks
XXX
Old 10-03-2005 | 10:41 AM
12 Second Club

Did you torque your wheels on properly? Many people have had some shake issues in the past due to not torquing the wheel on evenly. It can cause some shake. Are the caliper bolts all tightened properly? If you put new hardware on, there should not be any shake when you apply your brakes. Unless of course the quality of the parts put on is bad. It is possible that the new rotors need to be turned. Or you just need to bed in the rotors to the pads by driving and stopping some more. A full burnish is something like 200 stops from 35-40mph.