Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bmr springs stock shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005 | 04:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Bmr springs stock shocks?

Ok probably been asked 1 million times before I am sorry. I have bmr springs and my car rides like poop. It has the stock shocks. I dont really want to spend alot on konis any advice for a good all around handling shock. It does not have to be specific for drag racing. Thanks
Old 10-20-2005 | 04:57 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor
10 Year Member20 Year Member

Revalved Bilstein's. Bilstein's specifically re-worked to damp higher rate/shorter travel springs (basically the Bilstein Sport Bilstein never built for this car). Each setup is case by case, not one valving for all. $500

Bilstein HD's (not meant or recommended for lowering springs as per Bilstein's catalog, but better than DeCarbon's). $329. I should note I sold a set of Koni's to a man today with HD's and BMR springs who is a street driver and COULD NOT STAND the harsh ride or the lack of control (bobbing) the HD's gave him with those springs.

KYB AGX's are another option, and frankly for lowering springs would be the better chioce over HD's simply because you at least set them higher for enough rebound control. But the adjuster also changes the compression at the same time and what happens is in order to get the body motion control you want, you get a harsher ride than you'd want and need. Cost is between HD's and Revalves. Have to ask yourself why AGX's are in the mid 300's when Koni's start @ $700+. You get what you pay for, and in this case you pay for a low-tech adjuster and not much R&D. BTW, the the joke is KYB stands for Keep-Ya-Bouncin'. The truth is KYB does a good job in some cases, typically Japanese. I have regular GR2's on my winter beater Celica and they work fine, but it's not a handling car and they also made the OEM parts for Toyota and had the benefit of knowing the OEM valving and simply tweaking from there.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion

Quick Reply: Bmr springs stock shocks?