Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

BMR track pack tq arm breaks (street driving) takes rest of drivetrain with it (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 09:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lockwashers can be a bad idea. They can spread under load and relieve tension on the joint (bolt and material interface). So, what you had was a bolt, tightened really tight against a "spring". Once the spring saw enough load, the joint came loose. It probably involved the washers deforming just enough (either under load or on a permenant basis) to release tension on the joint and at that point, "your bolts backed out", or they may as well have. The end result was/is the same. Your tight joint is no longer tight. Followed by "BOOM".

By the time a bolt is loose enough for a lock washer to actually put tension on it, it's about to fall out. I avoid them like the plague in high load applications and use locktite only.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I do have a moser, believe it or not I had not heard of that discloser until today,
Also where did I ever bash BMR? So don't go off on that tangent, I only stated that the trak pq heavy duty tq arm broke while driving on the street and took out the rest of my drivetrain except my rear end which is 100% true.

Now I should note that I have checked those bolts before but only 1 time and that was beacause one was missing but I figured that this bolt was just missing cause the installers forgot it when my rear was installed but now I am thinking maybe it actually fell out. When I did it all of the other 3 bolts were tight but one was missing. I just went out right now for the hell of it and checked and the two bolts in the back are still tight, Went up to 55 ft lbs with my tq wrench and they did not turn, the front bolt on the bottom where it broke is loose now but there is nothing for it to bite on but it is flush with the bottom of the tq arm as seen in the pics, the top front bolt was actually loose and I could turn it by hand so yeah I guess I learned the hard way but nobody had ever told me about moser tq arms and the trak pak nor had I ever read it before that I can recall. When it was actually installed by BMR I still had my stock rear so that is probably why they never told me, (not sure why I had not read it till now).

So does it suck hell yeah it does thats a shitload of damage. If only my tranny would have made it the bill would not have been too bad. I still hope this tranny is salvagable, we will see but I'm guessing 3-4k to fix when all is said and done.

Lessons learned BMR trak pak and moser don't mix,

and one reconfirmed lesson that I have unfortuneatly been learning far too often.

DON'T MAKE A RACECAR AND DRIVE IT ON THE STREET CAUSE THE **** DON'T WORK.

This car is now officially gonna be a track car or once I fix it I will try to sell it,
Old 10-28-2005, 11:08 AM
10 Second Club

"Here are some pics of the carnage ,, all this because of a "heavy duty" tq arm that has hardly ever been used at the track.

That comment just sounded like you were blaming bmr for all the damage. If you check out their web page, they have a warning that says the torque arm will not even be covered if it is used with that stile of rear end. It's really unfortunate you didn't hear about the problem until it was too late. Learning the hard way can really suck, I feel bad for you and can't imagine how mad I would be if it happened to me. I hope you can get it back together without having to spend too much.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Does the Spohn and UMI torque arm design have this problem with the bolts that hold it to the rear end housing as well?
Old 10-28-2005, 11:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

yes i ahve seen it happen with the sphon ta as well

its not the arms falt...its the stupid way moser made the rear
Old 10-28-2005, 01:39 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jerflash
yes i ahve seen it happen with the sphon ta as well

its not the arms falt...its the stupid way moser made the rear
Old 10-28-2005, 01:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by rufretic
"Here are some pics of the carnage ,, all this because of a "heavy duty" tq arm that has hardly ever been used at the track.

That comment just sounded like you were blaming bmr for all the damage. If you check out their web page, they have a warning that says the torque arm will not even be covered if it is used with that stile of rear end. It's really unfortunate you didn't hear about the problem until it was too late. Learning the hard way can really suck, I feel bad for you and can't imagine how mad I would be if it happened to me. I hope you can get it back together without having to spend too much.

yeah I suppose you are right, I'll remove that from my initial post.

I swear I am really getting tired of all these little suprises lol. Keep it stock !!
Old 10-28-2005, 02:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Man, those pics are hard to look at - sorry to see this kind of **** problem. Hopefully you can get a good price on a T56 somewhere. I think a safety wire kit might be useful in the future.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:13 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn Mike K.!!!! I am sorry to hear about this. We were just talking about how you like being able to drive around and not worry about the car because you dont race anymore. We were also talking about you getting a GTO as well. Good luck on the repairs. Call me if you need me.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by VINCE
Damn Mike K.!!!! I am sorry to hear about this. We were just talking about how you like being able to drive around and not worry about the car because you dont race anymore. We were also talking about you getting a GTO as well. Good luck on the repairs. Call me if you need me.

haha thanks, it really is bad that this happened when I don't even race anymore lol ,,, now I am more or less forced to get a new car and forced to accept that this car cannot be driven on the street anymore. Maybe an auto is in order for the future? not sure if I can do 3 t-56s lol.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I so glad to see that 110 mph is considered street driving . . . . . .

Sorry to hear about the part failures on your ride.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn Mike what ya gunna do now man...... let me know
Kyle

BTW Roy i remember that day when yours bent and we almost didnt make it home....
Old 10-28-2005, 06:56 PM
TECH Junkie

probably gonna let it sit for awhile, I have no choice but to get another car and hopefully in a few months I won't be sick to my stomach anymore and I will decide then whether to fix and sell or to convert to auto.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:36 PM
TECH Resident

People need to learn how to saftey wire bolt heads.....
Old 10-28-2005, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I tried to wire mine, but drilling a grade 8 bolt does not work well. I even bought the drilling jig and still broke 5 bits and never got a hole drilled.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:18 PM
12 Second Club

You need a friend in the aircraft industry.
Old 10-29-2005, 04:59 AM
TECH Resident

Put them in a drill press 2000 to 2200 rpm 40 thou drill bit lots of lube......
Old 10-30-2005, 08:48 AM
TECH Junkie

now that I have calmed down some there is really some good advice in here, Ill make sure the next tq arm has only the 2 bolt holes, will also use bigger washers as well and red loctite,

question that trackbird brought up though, kinda makes sense about the lockwasher deforming and releasing pressure, wonder if I should just get some big *** regular washer or some lock washers.

And for the record believe it or not I had not heard of the moser bolt issue ever before, scouts honor
Old 10-30-2005, 09:19 AM

Not to self..............Do not buy BMR TQ arm.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:21 AM

So BMR took no responsibility for this? WTF!

Quick Reply: BMR track pack tq arm breaks (street driving) takes rest of drivetrain with it (Pics)