Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Anyone ever driven with the ebrake on?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 11:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member
Default Anyone ever driven with the ebrake on?

Wow, I'm such a idiot I can't believe it.

Was driving home last night and noticed a smoking kind of smell coming from somewhere on the car. I took a look at the dash and realized I had the ebrake on, so it was probably the fluid burning up.

What parts do you think I will have to replace? I figure my rotors/pads are probably shot. Anything else?

I can still drive the car but the brakes squeak now and they feel kind of spongy.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:16 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a bad habit of doing that too. Just check your pads. Maybe you wore them out. hopefully the rotor is ok
Old 11-07-2005, 05:33 AM
Teching In

The emergency brake only engages the small drum brakes inside of the hub in the rear wheels, it has nothing to do with the rotors and pads on either the front or the rear.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Vinnie
The emergency brake only engages the small drum brakes inside of the hub in the rear wheels, it has nothing to do with the rotors and pads on either the front or the rear.
That's true for the LS1 cars. The LT1 cars (mine) use a completely different design, which does interact with the regular brake parts I believe. I'm not sure about the specifics but I do know that it's very different from the LS1s and I do know that my brakes feel worse and squeak after having done that.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:38 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, LT1 cars use the rotors and pads.........Just feel the rotors see if you can feel any grooves or large waves, and check the pads..........
Old 11-07-2005, 12:58 PM
12 Second Club

i have actually raced cars with the e-brake on , and sadly won.....then i relized why i was pulling so hard...
Old 11-07-2005, 01:10 PM
Launching!

How long were you driving on them for? Usually if it wasnt for long then you should be fine. Although definitly check them out just to be sure! I once rented a uhaul and did the same thing only i didnt notice it till i was going over 60mph then i smelled them burning and i immediatly released the emergency brake. The problem was that once i arrived to my destination the driveway was at an incline and when i put the emergency brake on it didnt hold the uhaul, so either i screwed them up or they never worked well to begin with?
Old 11-07-2005, 01:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would tear everything down and check it out. Might be time for new pads and rotors, might as well upgrade to stainless lines in the process.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever driven with the ebrake on?