Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

sway bar bushings???

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 07:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default sway bar bushings???

will energy suspension bushings for the sway bars be any benefit at all?

Curtis
Old 11-14-2005, 11:47 AM
TECH Regular

Yes, they'll tighten things up. When you transfer weight from side to side, the rubber bushings must deflect fully before they put the bind on the sway bar and transfer the weight. So bushings that deflect less with transfer quicker and hold the car a little more level.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:19 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

Eh.... Bushings do nothing to limit the amount of roll the car has. They can't make the swaybars any stiffer. But they do make the bars come into play or react more quickly.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 11-14-2005, 12:40 PM
TECH Regular

I was only referring to the small amount of deflection in the rubber. If it deflects 1/8" on both sides, it would allow an additional 1/4" of roll before the bar goes in to torsion.

Let me know if I misunderstand the dynamics.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:56 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

To begin with, our cars do not have rubber bushings on the endlinks, but a delrin. The stock endlink bushings actually deflect very, very little.

And my point before was only that the bushings (if they are actually there and the links aren't really loose) will not make the car corner any flatter. They will make the bars react faster and quicken response a bit. Nowhere near what more shock damping can do, or what more bar can do, but they will quicken the response none the less.

Here's the deal. If you are at all planning on getting aftermarket bars, don't buy bushings. Most bars come with new bushings and endlinks included. Save the $40 you'll spend on new bushings and put it toward a bigger front bar (or bar set, whatever). That's not to say the $40 bushings won't "help", they will. But it's a $40 help, not a $400 help. If the stock stuff is trashed then by all means replace them. But if the OEM stuff is in decent shape I'd look elsewhere. MHO
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion