Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rear Toe

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 11:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear Toe

Easy question..... how is rear toe adjusted on a car with stock suspension components? Just informational.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Toe-in/out can't be adjusted. Remember we have a solid rear axle. I believe you're thinking of the thrust angle alignment, which cannot be adjusted with the stock suspension components either. Aftermarket components will allow for adjustment of the thrust angle. Also, if you want to get REALLY creative (and I suggest you really know what you're doing), you can actually adjust the toe of the rear axle by heating it with a torch and warping it. It's not quite just that simple, but just letting you know it is possible.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:30 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I adjusted my rear wheel alignment by the torch method; it works but it's a lot of trouble to go to unless you road race.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hmmmm thats what I thought. I went in for a front end alignment because I recently changed a outer tie rod end, and when I got the spec sheet back I looked at the toe for the rear wheels, and they were -.04 and -0.22.... which struck me as odd. Perhaps since only a front end alignment was being performed the guy didn't mount the alignment equipment on the rear correctly.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cal
I adjusted my rear wheel alignment by the torch method; it works but it's a lot of trouble to go to unless you road race.

Ill second that.

Toe can be adjusted with heat (as well as static camber for the housing) as it is a common little "trick" that has been used in road racing for years. Thing is, you kinda have to have the differential in a straightening fixture to get it right..... because too much in any direction will cause problems..... with bearing life, clutch pack wear and spider gear breakage.

In application, you can pretty much run up to -0.500" static camber without too many problems.

As for toe, zero to 0.125" in is acceptable.... but in some high hp/tq applications I have run 0.125 to 0.1875" toe out to compensate for housing flex when the chassis hooks up really hard.... but I do not recommend this for any street application.

Quick Reply: Rear Toe