Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Hard Braking = LOW TRAC?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 10:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Hard Braking = LOW TRAC?

Last night i was on my way into town, crusing at 50 in a 55. The area is known for deer that just pop out around every corner. So, sure enough this big *** buck jumps into the middle of the road and decides to stop! He gives the deer in the headlight look while im braking hard. I did not get on the brakes hard enough to lock up the tires, but i was testing them. While im braking i feel the ABS pumping my foot off the pedal and the "LOW TRAC" light came on! As if i was trying to break the tires loose with the TCS on. I come within two feet of hiting this f*cking deer! So, my question is, is this normal? It seems this is just normal because the ABS was working but the road surface was dry as a bone and i did not even lock up a tire. If anything i feel it lengthened my braking distance. I think i could of braked safer had it not been holding me back. And the rear brakes seem to work harder than the fronts, i checked the temp with a touchless temp gun and the rears were hotter than the fronts by about 20 degrees. Has anyone had anything like this happen to them?

Last edited by 5550racing; 11-13-2005 at 11:44 PM.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you have abs..you won't be able to lock up your tires..and if you were braking hard enough to activate the abs...then you were braking hard enough to lock up your tires..cause without abs..they would have locked up.

loc trac light comes on when soem of your wheels are moving faster/slower by a lil amount...then the computer either thinkingf your locking up the front brakes..or your spinning the rears really bad. the rear why this would happen even with abs is that your tires will lock up real quick..and the abs will disengage the lockup...so since your rear tires are moving at 40ish mph and your froms are around 0-10...then that triggers the low trac light. I get it a lot when i brake hard...even with asr off.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you immediately point your temp gun at the tires before the buck was even out of sight?
If not, then the temp reading you took wasn't the result of braking forces, but rather simple driving forces. It only takes 10 seconds of driving down the road to equalize the tire temp to the pavement.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry about that, I ment I checked the rotor temp a few days before all this happened. Not tire temp. What would cause the rear rotors to be hotter than the front rotors? I understand they are smaller, therefore they cant dissapate heat as well as the fronts, but shouldnt the fronts be hotter?