Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

bad noises coming from rear and very bumpy ride!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 07:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad noises coming from rear and very bumpy ride!

I have the following spohn components:
torque arm, adj. phb, lca's and relocation brackets. Stock shocks/springs and swaybar, stock rear and DS.

Ok, when driving the car going in and out of first like in stop n go traffic or stop sign to stop sign, when the car is rolling back a little and i begin to move foward i can hear a clunking sound from the rear. when i hit potholes the wheels just bounce around like crazy making the ride horrible!! When i punch it from a roll, same thing. i checked to make sure everything was tight and it is for the most part. i know it has to be one of the few things i mentioned earlier, but the question is which one. The bushing were lubed when i installed everything..the lca's, relocation and phb were installed in jan and the torque arm in june. ideas, suggestions, and any other <b>helpful</b> posts would be appreciated!!!
Nino
Old 11-22-2005, 10:36 AM
12 Second Club

I had a similar problem when I first installed Spohn TA w/DS loop, adj LCA, UMI PHB, and QTP y-pipe. The LCA's I bought had cheap rod ends and they caused a lot of road noise. Every bump I hit mad ethe car feel like it was going to fall apart. I Got rid of those and just put the stock arms back on. If you have sphyrical bearings it could cause lots of noise. The noises I had on stop and go driving was the Huge Y-pipe hitting the TA drive shaft loop, and at times the tunnel brace TA mount.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:07 PM
TECH Addict

my lca's have polyends. It makes sense that the ypipe would bang. thats not too much of an issue. Im more concerned about the massive amount of wheelhop.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:14 PM
Teching In

If the panhard rod is double adjustable and has the metal ends. Then that is certainly going to make all kinds of wretched noises. It's a race part... it's not supposed to be quite. The metal end are much better for performance than the polyurethane, but the noise sucks for a street car. What I did to eleviate that problem is to put a few dynomat strips on the bar. Works like a champ.
Old 11-24-2005, 01:07 AM
TECH Addict

the PHB has poly bushings. its not road noise im getting. its a very distinctive clunking. I adjusted the PHB this eve and still getting the hop. The tunnel brace mount on the driver side looks like it was smashed in!
Old 11-29-2005, 12:46 AM
On The Tree

I think I might have had a similar problem. I finally found out that the A.PHB was broken, replaced that and the clunks were gone. The inner piece was broken. The chassis was pushing on the bar from both ends so the broken piece never came lose making it very hard to notice. I had to push/pull on the bar real hard while I was under there to notice it.

If your replaced your PHB, put the stock one back in and see if it cures the problem.