Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

suspension/lowering

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default suspension/lowering

what's up guys. i'm thinking about doing a little suspension work on the SS this winter, looking to drop the car an inch or so. i'm thinking this would entail shocks and springs..what do you guys recommend? i dont want to go too crazy, what would be some prices on kits? i've seen hotchkis, BMR, ProKit, and DMS, and they all look pretty nice. any feedback would be appreciated.
dan
Old 11-29-2005, 10:57 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

We sell a lot of Hotchkis springs because the rates are known, and right where I think they should be for most cars. The Pro-kits work, but lower the car way more than 1", and the DMS's use spring rates higher than what a street car (even a really hard driven one) needs. Actually for perspective, DMS's get higher than what I run on my autocross car, and frankly if it was a street only car, it wouldn't have rates that high.

Shocks are pretty much a requirement if you want a decent suspension. Many lower with stock shocks, and while you can, it's a handling and riding mess. Of course, you also want to use a shock that is intended for lowering. Many are not, the prime example being the Bilstein HD. Great shock, not suitable for lowered cars. The higher spring rate and shorter travel aren't what the HD's for the 4th gen were built to damp.

And lowering 1" would mean you'd really want an Adjustable Panhard Bar. The PHB body mount will lower with the car, the axle side won't. That will shorten the bar and pull the axle to the right relative to the body. The APHB can be lengthened to suit the re-centering.

I most of the above parts. And I'm a big believer in doing things properly the first time.

I wasn't specific on purpose about the parts I'd recommend because I don't know at this point exactly what parts would suit you needs best. That's information I need to speak to you about. That way I can explain differences and ask questions that are important to the recommendation/selection.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-29-2005, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why do u want new springs??? Handling?? Or some other reaon???

I would use a ground control setup for the springs. U can pick the rate and rise and lower the car if you want. They are not much more than lowering springs they can be had for 360.00 all the way around.

If u do springs get shocks.
How much do want to spend??? Koni single actions would be good but not cheep. U can get Bilstein revalves from sam if u done lower so much. i think they r 500$ but u would have to ask him. I think u can keep the Panhard Bar until u see how far out the rear is.