Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Shock/Spring combo

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 10:26 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Default Shock/Spring combo

Hey guys. I am looking to swap out my stock shocks/sportlines for something a little different. I want a set of height adjsutables..... i believe they makes them ive heard.... Anyway i was to be able to jack up the rear so i can run some 15's with slicks at the track and have that slammed front/raised rear look and also help my track traction a lot. Than when i get home from the track, i want to slam the whole car like it is now or close for street driving..... Know of any combo's where i can do this? Thanks!

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 11-25-2005, 10:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the only way you're gonna be able to raise and lower your height is with air ride stuff...shocks don't raise or lower your car, so you gotta go with airbags or whatever they are called.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:25 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Well cant you get adjustable shocks and jsut adjust the coils to raise and lower it?

Old 11-25-2005, 04:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Superman09
Well cant you get adjustable shocks and jsut adjust the coils to raise and lower it?
you can get coil-overs to adjust the ride height
Old 11-25-2005, 04:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Springs determine ride height. Shocks damp the springs. Adjustable shocks let you determine how much damping the shocks do.

-Mike
Old 11-25-2005, 04:44 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Ah, so i cant raise and lower my height with adjustable shocks?

Old 11-25-2005, 07:29 PM
Launching!

Ah, so i cant raise and lower my height with adjustable shocks?
You dont use the shock to raise and lower the car you use the coilovers to raise and lower it and use the adjustable shocks to adjust the damping based on the height of the car. Im planning on going with a set or ground controls with koni's although my car is driven a lot more than just at the track so if you looking at a track setup ONLY then go for the QA1's. Other wise in my opinoin the ground control is the best way to go for the street.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:53 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

No opposite for me. Car is mainly street, but i want it to be adjsutable height wise, I will use the slammed look, if you can get a 2" drop with the ground controls? Than i would like to set it up for the trac kwhen i go, but it will have a fully slammed look msot of the time.

Old 11-26-2005, 09:13 AM
Launching!

No opposite for me. Car is mainly street, but i want it to be adjsutable height wise, I will use the slammed look, if you can get a 2" drop with the ground controls? Than i would like to set it up for the trac kwhen i go, but it will have a fully slammed look msot of the time.
Then yes the ground control is the way to go. However if your going to go for 2+ inch drop the koni's may not be the way to go because of how low it will be. You may want to get a set of revalved shocks from strano. The only problem with that is that they aren't adjustable. Id advise you to call him and see if the koni's would be okay with that big of a drop and if not what he would recommend.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:48 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Well 2" is where id like to sit, thats where i am now. I jsut want a new combo that will help me hook a little better and be adjsutable for when i do want to go to the track

Old 11-26-2005, 10:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can buy coil overs, or run Koni SA shocks which have an adjustable spring perch. Or you can go low buck and buy BMR shock spacers. Eack spacer raises the front 1/2 inch and you can double stack them.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:03 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Well whats a nice set of adjustables thats i can run a 2" drop on all day and than change up the height and dampening when i want so i can hit the track and find great traction..... I dont want to go cheap here

Old 11-26-2005, 11:07 AM
Launching!

You can buy coil overs, or run Koni SA shocks which have an adjustable spring perch. Or you can go low buck and buy BMR shock spacers. Eack spacer raises the front 1/2 inch and you can double stack them.
This is true about the koni's but only the front stut is adjustable and not nearly as much as you want to drop it! It will drop it a MAX of an inch but its actually a little less than that and in the rear you'd have to do the hose mod but that doesnt matter because its not nearly as low as what your looking for! And about the spacer thats fine to go higher (pain in the *** if you ask me) Just go the route of the coilovers more expensive but one hell of a lot better. As for the shocks i plan on going koni's pretty expensive but supposed to be the best! I would say you should be fine with koni's as long as its not too low but just to keep from telling you wrong id say call sam at:

http://www.stranoparts.com/index.php

Just to be sure. ive talked to him and he knows what hes talking about. You've been on here for a little while so im sure youve heard of him before.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:11 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Yea. Im jsut curious about the best set of coilovers that are easily adjsutable for my application. Thanks for your help.

Old 11-26-2005, 11:26 AM
Launching!

Yea. Im jsut curious about the best set of coilovers that are easily adjsutable for my application.
well ive done some searching on this subject also and ground control is the best deal ive found they are only about 400 bucks for the set. Ive seen them priced over 2000 for a G2 setup! The money is going to come into play when you decide on shocks! Heres a real good pic i found of them with a google search.

You can see how they are adjusted in that pic. Its kind of like a nut and bolt and the spring sits on the nut.

Thanks for your help.
No problem just trying to help.
Old 11-26-2005, 04:53 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Oh thanks a lot, so its only $400 for a full set of ground control shocks and coilovers and springs? How much of a drop can i go with with these and what not? Thanks!

Old 11-26-2005, 07:42 PM
Launching!

Oh thanks a lot, so its only $400 for a full set of ground control shocks and coilovers and springs? How much of a drop can i go with with these and what not? Thanks!
I'm not sure of the exact adjustability of these coilovers but i KNOW its way more than a 2 inch drop. I think its actually closer to 3-4inches. Basically youll never go that low so it doesnt matter. Now in reguards to money **** i really really wish thats all it costs!!! Its 400 for the coilovers with the springs; however, you have to buy the shocks/struts seperate. Prices on those all depend on the type of shock.

Koni DA (double adjustable) - cost over 1000 bucks!!! Bit over kill but top of the line!

Koni SA (single adjustable) - cost about 800 bucks! also expensive but many people say these are the best (also the ones im going with)!

Revalved - cost around 500 for a set but non adjustable and will be valved for 1 height.

KYB AGX - about 300.00 (on ebay otherwise over 400.00), some guys like these other hate them they are adjustable and ive seen a lot of threads on them but overall theyll only get the job done but definitly not he best also ive heard the adjustablility isnt the greatest, ive also heard they are bouncy.

Tokico Illuminia - about 360.00 for a set. These are adjustable but only 5 settings. I havent heard much about these actually very little but i think its pretty safe to say close to the KYB's or little worse

Bilstein HD - a lot of people have these; a lot of people, but they arent adjustable either and they are flat out not supposed to be used on a lowered car especially not 2 inches.

And theres a few various other cheap ones that you dont want.

Shocks are not cheap and one of the absolute main things you dont want to go cheap on but overall its your money and your car.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:32 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

So id prolly need to go with the ground control kit and some koni SA'? run me about $1200? Thanks!

Old 11-27-2005, 04:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Bear in mind that KYB's are single adjustible by adjusting both compression and rebound simultaneously. From my experience with them, I hate having to adjust the compression when all I need to adjust is rebound. From my previous need, there's nothing worse than having to get rebound right and compression off, or compression right and rebound off. That's where some users devised the moniker "Keeps You Bouncing."

My vote? Save the money and go straight for the Ground Control and Koni SA combo. Yeah, it sure isn't cheap, however you generally get what you pay for.

As far as one person mentioned about LG's coil-over system, I have one personally, and it is a great system, however if you aren't really going to use it for something as far as road racing is concerned, or have access to a shock dyno, N2 and N2 gauge, and are willing to put in the effort to know and work on them yourself, and tolerate some discomfort from the spherical bearings, then you should revert to my previous suggestion for the Koni's/Ground Control.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:27 AM
Launching!

So id prolly need to go with the ground control kit and some koni SA'? run me about $1200? Thanks!
YEP, thats the best way to go!

Quick Reply: Shock/Spring combo