Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

A couple questions/ideas

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005 | 01:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Default A couple questions/ideas

1) with people who like to have an "all around" car, what do you think of a quick disconnect type setup for the front? the endlinks are what would receive a VERY beefy hair pin type setup. im not 100% sure how i would do it but i think itd make life a lil easier for the weekend warrior crowd. the endlink dowels would look somewhat like an hour glass with a hair pin type thing at the bottom. how do you think a QD could be done?

2) what would be a nice ALL AROUND sway bar setup? one that would help hold turns well and one that would launch strait as an arrow in a 11-10 second car. i was thinking one of 2 things: the first is just get a good setup and disconnect the front whenever im at the strip. the second is to get a drag bar but get a bar up front that, while on the street, would give it close to neutral steer as possible. what do you think?
Old 12-03-2005 | 02:19 PM
On The Tree

You will have a hard time having a neutral car if you put on a thick drag-racing sway bar in the back. Your car will more than likely have a tendency to oversteer even with a large front bar. Unfortunately, in this case you can't really have your cake and eat it too.
Old 12-03-2005 | 03:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by fa63
You will have a hard time having a neutral car if you put on a thick drag-racing sway bar in the back. Your car will more than likely have a tendency to oversteer even with a large front bar. Unfortunately, in this case you can't really have your cake and eat it too.
well what are usual drag bar sizes? up near 2 inches or over? god damn that means id have to run a 2.5" to 3" sway bar up front for it to be anywhere close to wht id wnt..hmm. how bout an adjustable rear sway bar?
Old 12-03-2005 | 07:58 PM
On The Tree

I don't drag race and have no idea how thick the drag sway bars are, but I would guess them to be > 25 mm (~1 inch) in diameter. I think Unbalanced Engineering makes an adjustable rear sway bar, but I don't think that will work for you since they cater to the road-racing crowd mainly.
Old 12-03-2005 | 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Usually something that's good for drag racing is bad for cornering and vice versa.

One of the few things I've run across that can be useful for both, is using a lowered panhard rod with a bigger rear sway bar. Then you don't have to run a proportionally bigger front bar. The lowered panhard needs more spring/bar in order for the car to stay balanced. I've got the UE panhard lowering kit sitting here beside me, and coilovers and heavier springs are on the way from Sam / GC. Haven't decided on the bar yet, going to see how the stiffer springs balance out first.