Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Possible Suspension setup for DD

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 03:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Suspension setup for DD

Looking for opinions/advice for a suspension setup. I live in west tennessee, so lots of twistie country roads with little traffic on to blast down, but also use the TA as my DD so need to retain some usability. Car will probably never see the track, so I'm thinking more of a DD/autocross setup. Basically, when I hammer into a corner, I don't want to feel like the inside front wheel is lifting up and the tail is trying to kick out.

So I was thinking, Intrax lowering springs, 1LE 32mm front and 21mm rear swaybars, and bilstein vs. Koni shocks.

Just wondering what everyone thought about this setup and if I was leaving anything out. Such as panhard bar, LCA, LCA relocators. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:18 AM
Launching!

Dampeners and bars would be first thing I'd change for a daily driver. I'd question the need for lowering springs for a DD (higher spring rates mean harsher ride), unless it's for cosmetic reasons. You can get a good 1/2 - 3/4" drop using the Koni SA front perch / rear isolator removal mod. As for bars, going from 30mm to 32mm up front will help but I'd recommend bigger. I have Sam Srano's 35/22mm hollow bar set and love it.

Scott
Old 12-05-2005, 03:12 AM
Staging Lane

I just spent the weekend installing Koni SAs and Strano bars. I finished up about half an hour ago...all I can say is "wow". I never realized how much the body was rolling and while I realized that the car had a bit of nose dive/tail lift during braking, I never realized how bad it was until I took my test drive after everything was put on.

I am going to take it in to get an alignment tomorrow

I would definitely spend some time talking with Sam. http://www.stranoparts.com

I sent him an PM when I first started looking at upgrading the suspension a little bit. He replied asking me to call him to talk about it. He spent 45 minutes on the phone with me...not knowing who I was or whether or not I would really buy anything from him. Good guy

EDIT: Side note...the high temperature both days this weekend was right around freezing and I did most of my work outside, after dark (5pm)...I'm not crazy...really...
Old 12-05-2005, 09:00 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

I'm happy to see the two of you are pleased. Keep me posted on that.

To Joe, I responded to you PM already, and pretty much asked you call. See umrjmac's post.

Intrax springs, not your best choice... or even close. Running with Bilstein HD's, not a good idea, because they aren't for lowering springs. 32/21 bars is sometimes okay, but not normally because it makes the rear too stiff vs the front. What nobody seems to realize is only the '93's had that bar setup, and they also had the stiffer fronts springs, but not the stiffer rears (they were Z28 rears, the 21 rear bar was a balance to that). Also we know that the car likes a lot of front bar. A 21-ish rear isn't bad. I made my rear bar about the same stiffness, but you don't want it teamed up with too small a front bar and/or with too little front spring when compared to what's going on in the rear.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion