Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

brake squeak went away for short time after some hard high speed stops

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 09:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default brake squeak went away for short time after some hard high speed stops

I get brake squeal on light to moderate braking about 90% of the time in the front. A month ago I took the disconnect the front rotors and put on another coat of anti-squeal spray and relubed the pins, pad ratainers. The brakes were dead silent for 1 1/2 days then started squeaking again. Today I did some hard stops at around 60+ and they didn't squeak for a while but now do again. What's going on? The pads in the front are Hawk HPS with Powerslot rotors that have maybe 9K miles on them.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:24 AM
TECH Resident

I had almost the same situation. Last year, I had a front and rear brake job at Pep Boys. I forgot what brake pads they used for the front, but I do remember that they used the Quiet Stop brake pads for the rear. A few weeks later, I heard squeeks coming from the rear driver's side suspension and realized that they were there even when the car was rolling. I thought it could have been the bushings, but I realized that it had to be the rear brakes after listening closely at where the squeeks were coming from. Therefore, I went to a GM dealership and bought the GM factory replacement brake pads that came with some factory brake hardware. I'm guessing that the brake pads were the Durastops, but were more expensive because of the extra hardware. I had the rear brake pads replaced along with the old hardware and the squeeks disappeared. From now on, I'll stick with the factory GM stuff when it comes to brake pads.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:18 AM
Banned

some types of pads make more noise than others...Is it a steady squeal? Only when you're on the brakes? And vibrations when on the brakes?

Quick Reply: brake squeak went away for short time after some hard high speed stops