Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni SA and Ground Control fitment issues!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 12:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Koni SA and Ground Control fitment issues!!

Hi, I purchased a set of koni sa shocks for all four corners and a ground control setup to match. I went to install the combo and can't see how the shock is going to fit through the aluminum sleeve from GC? I know that some grinding was required to make it fit, but it looks like I would have to grind out some of the internals of the GC sleeve and then still take a couple mm off of the top silver hat above the bump stop. Any help on making the two fit would be appreciated. Pictures would be great if any are available. Thanks.

Matt
Old 12-18-2005, 02:22 PM
TECH Resident

You either grind that hat down far enough, or you manage to bust loose the nut underneath the hat. Several people have made custom tools to get at that nut. A welding shop made a tool for me. It takes a LOT of force to bust it loose.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:39 AM
Teching In

i have this set up from Sam and here is what i did

DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK, MY HANDS ARE VERY STEADY BUT MAYBE I JUST GOT LUCKY!!!

i put the end in a vice then took a chisel (sp?) 3 hits and it loosened the nut under the hat (marked it before i did it so that its back in the same place as before i touched it)

took all of 5 minutes from start to finish on both wish it was that fast to install them lol

good luck and be very carefull

slawek
Old 12-20-2005, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

I did one with wrench and one with chisel. I used PB buster in the hat. I let is sit in there for two days. Got a wrinch at sears ground a opening in wrinch. There is a write-up on here that shows it. I had to get jam nut from koni for the other one. If I were doing it over I would use the grinding way. Dont grind GC stuff. Grind shock hat. If u want PM my your phone and I will call u.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:36 AM
Teching In

Hi guys and thanks for the responses! Maybe I am retarded, but I don't see a nut on the shock to remove? I measured the top hat of the koni to about 5.5 cm and the opening for the GC sleeve is 5.1 cm. Taking off .4 cm of the koni hat would seem almost paper thin. The mechanic at my local shop thought that grinding that much off might cause the shock to break. Let me know your thoughts.

Quick Reply: Koni SA and Ground Control fitment issues!!