Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Really bad brake noise. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 09:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Really bad brake noise. Help!

I just got the car back from having a 12 bolt installed today. They had mentioned that I will need new rear brakes soon. On the drive home it was sounding like it needed brakes (normal squeeking etc) but when I had to come to a complete stop the back passenger brake sounded like an airplane landing. I took a look at it and the rotor is 2 different shades. The innermost part is smooth like the rest of the rotors on the car but the outmost half of if looks rough and 'unpolished'. Is it still ok to drive the car? I have new pads on the way but any other suggestions?
Old 12-21-2005, 10:58 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

The caliper may be sticking.
Did the rotor look the normal grey (with rusted edges) or was is it covered in sweeps or blotches of blue/purple/gold. If so, then the caliper is most likely sticking.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There was no actual color on the rotor just a different shade of the silver color. It kinda looks like a dull/flat gray color or as I said earlier 'unpolished' as the innermost part is normal looking and polished. Makes a horrible sound coming to a stop from pretty much any speed.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:52 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Someone on here mentioned a similar situation, but I don't remember the exact issue or resolution.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I found the problem. Fixed it a few days ago and forgot to post. Turns out the ****** guy at the shop who assisted in putting in my rear end put the pad on BACKWARDS...idiot. They machined my rotors for free and got me some new pads.