Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bilstein suspension system???

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 11:33 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilstein suspension system???

I've done the search on this site, but haven't seen any postings about the Bilstein BTS suspension system kit (part # BTS-7501) that includes shocks & lowering springs.

From Bilstein's website it appears to me that they have already done the shock revalve for this system.

Anybody use this kit? Comments?

Thanks,

DMark
Old 12-23-2005, 10:39 AM
Staging Lane

OK, I did another search and found the answers I needed - - - to include the standard reply from this forum's "Vendor-Expert" who bad-mouths everything unless its his re-valved Bilstein shocks.

Let the flames begin...., I've been wearing Nomex for years!

DMark
Old 01-07-2006, 08:57 AM
Teching In

No flame from me on your observation.I have the BTS set up on my 01 z for over a year and am very pleased.As with any product purchase you as the consumer have to filter out the obsevations and opinions of others to come to your own conclusion.In the end if your happy thats all that really matters.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:38 AM
Staging Lane

AGREE!

DMark
Old 01-08-2006, 12:02 PM
roy
TECH Resident

For what the BTS system is . It is pretty good . The Bilstein factory engineers here really go into depth when testing their complete systems. If your ever in Germany you should tour their facilities. I just don't like progressive rate springs that are used.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by roy
...The Bilstein factory engineers here really go into depth when testing their complete systems...
That is why I'm interested in the BTS system. I would think that Bilstein wouldn't be putting a product out there that was a good "match."

Thanks for the comment.

DMark
Old 01-09-2006, 12:14 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 135 Likes on 88 Posts

First off, I sell about 4 times as many Koni's are do my Revalves. And the notion that I rip anything but my Revalves is patentely untrue and unfair. More than a few folks here have other shocks bought from me, from HD's to DA Koni's. You are being more than shortsighted, and clearly do not understand why you might want Revalves.

I'm a Bilstein dealer. If you want BTS kit because it's what you want, vs. what you might be best served by, then fine. I will happily sell it to you. Unlike other companies which push only what they have, I try and carry a lot of product even if I don't use it much so you know that I'm not recommending only what I have.....

Simple facts, I know both the spring rate and the damping rate of the BTS kit, and the spring rate is well beyond what the shocks can handle for any kind of real performance use. Bilstein states in their own catalog that HD's are NOT SUITABLE for lowered cars, yet all they do for a BTS kit is to add some jounce bumpers, and they do not revalve the shocks. SHOCKS ARE SPRING DAMPERS, IF THE RATE JUMPS MUCH FROM WHAT THE SHOCKS ARE VALVED FOR YOU BEST YOUR BUTT THE DAMPING RATE MUST INCREASE TOO!!!

Bilstein is a good company.... which is why I use their products. I have their shocks on my truck. I had them on my '91 Camaro, which do not need revalving, even with lowered springs. Why? Simply put just because a shock says Bilstein doesn't mean it's perfect. We have GM cars, and most of us like them despite their issues. But a Corvette they aren't, but they also aren't Cavalier's. Both are Chevrolets, but not created equally.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-09-2006, 12:18 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

In case I didn't make it clear.... The bigger issue with the BTS kit is not the shocks alone, but the fact the springs are not what I feel should be in use. You team those high rate, and progressive rate springs with shocks that are NOT revalved, just have a bumper added and the damping is not what it should be.

Also, I've had at least 3 customers I can think of who had the BTS remove it for various different setups. And each had the same two complaints. First and foremost the damping wasn't up to par, and secondly the ride was too harsh. Both of which are indications of mismatched shock/spring setups.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-09-2006, 02:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thumbs up

Well I've been looking into the BTS kit too for a while now. Now that I'm reading some of these repllies, I'm moving away from the BTS kit....

For the bit of research I've done, I had narrowed down the BTS kit as a decently priced suspension kit that does not have a 1"+ drop. Now I'm rethinking my choices ...what else is there out there that doesn't drop the car more than an inch?
Old 01-09-2006, 03:19 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

You can use Hotchkis springs, you can use SLP springs, you can use LT1 Pro-kits (about 1.25" admittedly), which are oh so different from LS1 Pro-kits it's amazing. And team any of those up with APPROPRIATE dampers (*not* HD's IMHO). There is a reason that HD's and springs cost about what the BTS kit does... because the BTS is just HD's and springs. It's marketing, and good marketing to sell a "kit" because it lulls most into a sense of security. But just like anything else, there are good kits and not-so-good kits.

You can use Koni's and the stock springs, which lowers the car about 3/4" and has become a very viable and popular alternative because it gives you killer shocks, adjustment that works, much better ride and HUGELY better handling and control. Sure, the shocks cost more, but often times you then SAVE the money you were going to spend on springs and an adjustable PHB and just put that toward the shocks. The end result is about the same cost, but with WAY better shocks which is the A-#1 thing the 4th gen needs improved.

Old 01-09-2006, 04:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
You can use Hotchkis springs, you can use SLP springs, you can use LT1 Pro-kits (about 1.25" admittedly), which are oh so different from LS1 Pro-kits it's amazing. And team any of those up with APPROPRIATE dampers (*not* HD's IMHO). There is a reason that HD's and springs cost about what the BTS kit does... because the BTS is just HD's and springs. It's marketing, and good marketing to sell a "kit" because it lulls most into a sense of security. But just like anything else, there are good kits and not-so-good kits.

You can use Koni's and the stock springs, which lowers the car about 3/4" and has become a very viable and popular alternative because it gives you killer shocks, adjustment that works, much better ride and HUGELY better handling and control. Sure, the shocks cost more, but often times you then SAVE the money you were going to spend on springs and an adjustable PHB and just put that toward the shocks. The end result is about the same cost, but with WAY better shocks which is the A-#1 thing the 4th gen needs improved.

What do you mean using the Koni's and the stock springs will lower the car 3/4"? I thought only the springs determine ride height?
Old 01-09-2006, 05:43 PM
12 Second Club

Koni SA's have two spring perches so you can lower the front about 3/4" if you want to, it's only the front though, not the rear. You can remove the spring cup from the rear and replace it with some heater hose and get about 1/2"- 5/8" drop from that.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:53 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by AnthonyR
Koni SA's have two spring perches so you can lower the front about 3/4" if you want to, it's only the front though, not the rear. You can remove the spring cup from the rear and replace it with some heater hose and get about 1/2"- 5/8" drop from that.
But if you drop the rear, you'll probably also need to get an adj panhard rod to adjust the rear centering...
Old 01-10-2006, 09:35 AM
TECH Apprentice