Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Which torque arm to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 12:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which torque arm to buy?

I'm having a hard time making a final decision on this issue, mainly because I keep reading conflicting reports on the message boards.

I'm trying to decide between a tunnel-mounted or trans-mounted torque arm. After doing lots and lots of reading, the general consensus was that a tunnel-mounted one is much better because they are much less likely to break and just better overall. So I decided I would get the UMI tunnel-mounted one.

I was getting ready to buy it..and read a couple things recently about the problems with tunnel-mounted torque arms. Apparently there are a lot of fitment issues with them, and pretty much everybody with one of them has that banging and clunking that gets annoying. The general consensus I got from those threads was "if you're drag racing only, go tunnel-mounted. If you're daily driving the car, go trans-mounted".

My car will not be a daily driver, but I'll probably drive it at least half the time I drive. 3-4 times a week easily. I want it to remain a street car, of course. I'm shooting for mid-11's with nitrous, low 12's without it. I don't want to get a tunnel-mounted torque arm only to find out it will bang around every time I drive it and I'll have everyone that gets in the car asking me what that horrible noise is. Can anyone shed some light on this and help me make a final decision?
Old 12-22-2005, 03:48 PM
TECH Addict

Ok.... I'll tell you what I have and what I think of it. Currently have a Spohn Crossbar (Tunnel Mounted) Adj. TA. In the beginning after shortly installing it was a little annoying and loud. Oh and for installing, if you have a aftermarket y, lt's or whatever the crossbar may conflict with your setup. I also have the DS safety loop on mine as well as I had to relocate that as well as changing my exhaust a bit. So back to the TA.... it is definitly a huge increase in strength and traction compared to the stock piece. Litterally dworfs the old one. It is a bit heavier though, but that is compromisable. Far as sounds (clunks, bangs, vibrations) you will have to learn to get use to them. I haven't really seen anyone who hasn't had silence after installing their TA. It seems to be loud since the crossbar sits directly underneath your seat. Some banging out of the floorboard may be nessecary as well in the rear part of the TA since some units tend to hit. The gears will also whine through some pieces as well and I got a vibration that I'm used to now. Really it I got used to all the noises after awhile. I have this piece on my car and it's a daily driver so really your choice on how picky you are about certain noises. I have the rod end so I'm sure it enhances the noises as well as I'm sure the poly end maybe somewhat a little more quieter. All and all I'm happy with my unit and really have no remorse for ever buying since it seems to be good for me other than every now and then it will talk to me.

Good luck on your decision and sorry for such a long post!
Old 12-28-2005, 09:19 PM
Launching!

Hmmm, still didn't make up my mind. Anyone else have some thoughts.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check out the Jegster torque arm.. it bolts into the tunnel, and doesnt interfere with anything. Its pretty beefy as well, and fits nicely up, out of the way. It isnt adjustable though.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have a Spohn torque arm with front and rear loops. It fits perfect and I had no trouble installing it. I have Kooks headers with catted Y and had no fitment issues. Spohn's customer service is great and they will take time to answer any questions you have.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:21 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If you would like please give me a call or send a e-mail and I will be glad to help explain the difference as well as help decide which would be best for you. Both a tunnel brace mounted or tranny mounted are very streetable and offer tremendous results. We offer a few different choices on the tunnel mounted version for different exhaust set-ups, we also have a inexpensive non-adjustable tranny mounted torque arm we just released.

Hope that helps!
Ryan
814-857-5400
sales@umiperformance.com
Old 12-29-2005, 09:34 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
If you would like please give me a call or send a e-mail and I will be glad to help explain the difference as well as help decide which would be best for you. Both a tunnel brace mounted or tranny mounted are very streetable and offer tremendous results. We offer a few different choices on the tunnel mounted version for different exhaust set-ups, we also have a inexpensive non-adjustable tranny mounted torque arm we just released.

Hope that helps!
Ryan
814-857-5400
sales@umiperformance.com
Ryan does your tunnelbrace mounted T/A come w/ the adjusting tool? My friend bought wone and didnt recieve one, but i am planning to pick up one of yours sometime soon, but i am hoping to get the tool w/ it

get back to me if possible thankss
Old 12-29-2005, 11:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

i have a jegster mount ta and i love it,just thought i would put in my 2cents worth
Old 12-30-2005, 10:15 AM
On The Tree

Global West Trac Link.

Quick Reply: Which torque arm to buy?