Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Can an F-Body be built to handle like a Z06????

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 03:16 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had a 2000 trans am, did sway bars, panhard rod, LCA's with the brackets 17/18 rims, 295 30 18s in rear and 275 35 17 in front, sub frame connectors, lowered, and it could handle like a dream, i loved it, try that, can do it for about 2 grand depending on rims, and you can always go farther with a arms etc..
Old 12-30-2005, 03:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Cal
Forget 18" wheels, they will make your car handle worse, not better. CCW does make 17" rims; I would get a set of four 17x11's.
I want the SP500's, they told me this past week they don't make them in 17".

Comparing Koni's to Hals for cornering is like comparing an Ferrari to a Fiat. Both are red I guess . . .
Red??? So the Koni's are MUCH better, or no?
Old 12-30-2005, 04:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Quickin
Red??? So the Koni's are MUCH better, or no?
Konis are developed for cornering/handling applications.
Hals are developed for drag racing applications.

You cannot compare them as one being better than the other. They are meant for different purposes.

CCW makes other wheels in a 17" size. I run the Classic style in 17x11 when I autocross. CCW is expensive, but I found the HRE wheels I wanted to be almost double the price for some lightweight track wheels.

My car has Konis, LG Springs, 35mm swaybar, 17x11's (when racing), and it handles very well. But if I took a run in my friend's Z06 (with just Konis) on the same compound tires, it's no contest. The car is just quicker all around, hands down. You won't make a F-body outhandle a Z06, but you can make a well sorted-out car that will put the hurt down on most other cars on race day.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:39 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the CCW Classics are their cheapest style, but also the best looking IMO. I have a set in 16x10. You're not going to be taken seriously by "real" racers if you bolt someting too gawdy to your car.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Cal
I think the CCW Classics are their cheapest style, but also the best looking IMO. I have a set in 16x10. You're not going to be taken seriously by "real" racers if you bolt someting too gawdy to your car.

I like the SP500 CCW

Or the 545's HRE
Old 12-30-2005, 07:25 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Cal
If you want to out-handle any street car by changing only the tires and wheels, there is always the cheatin' way to do it: A set of 12" Goodyear road race slicks on 16x12 Real race wheels Not street legal, but I guarantee you this will out handle anything else on the road! The point is, tires do more than anything else when it comes to cornering.
Ain't it the truth! I was going to suggest to the thread starter to do this while keeping the Z06 on it's stock Supercars, one of the only ways you'll outhandle a Z06.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:31 PM
317indy

HRE's are too heavy, get some Fikse FM5's.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 317indy
HRE's are too heavy, get some Fikse FM5's.

Do you happen to know how much $$$ the Profile 5S rims are? I can't find prices on the site.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.lingenfelter.com/

$855 in 17x11
Old 07-04-2006, 03:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright, so trying to beat a stock ZO6 is do-able, untill the ZO6 starts playing the mod game. That figures, the 'Vette cost how much more?
Originally Posted by TXAgZ28
but you can make a well sorted-out car that will put the hurt down on most other cars on race day.
What street cars out there can match the handling potential of an F-body? (with similar funding) Everybody seems to think that the little AWD imports are the be-all-end-all street handlers... I've heard otherwise, enlighten me.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

money= no pbject?? then the only shocks to consider are PENSKE..
Old 07-04-2006, 11:46 PM
TECH Regular

Well heres going to be my take on the Zo-6 vs F-body. I have driven both cars back to back on road course and have come to this. I also raced the car in the 2006 Cannonball One Lap Of America. Quick facts, covered 4500 miles 7 days, 8 different track with 19 events and went through 20 states.

Here are some lap times:
FireBird(Me driving)
04" best 1.08.8
06" Best 1.06.8

Co-driver (FireBird)
06"1.10.3

Me driving 02 zo6
06" Best 1.11

owner driving z06
06" Best 1.08.9

All of these times are From Lime Rock in Ct. It is not a power track. Handling is Key.

Well As you can see my heavy *** Bird, was 2 sec a lap quicker than the Vette. My car is in the 3600 lb range and this vette is Stripped for the most part. 3100 +-.

Secondly I suck at driving the vette. Namely this car is loose at turn-in and loose from the Apex to track out. Vette has 2 mods Hotchkis sway bars and he run's 315-18 all the way round. The car owner has gotten used to drivng this car this way, but he has also spun out at a bunch of tracks too. Namley because the car is evil handling at points. This setup is a not ideal I found out after getting back from ONE Lap.

Some really good point. Now onto the track which is what we are all worried about. With me driving the car felt stupid fast. Wow I felt I was going faster than my Bird. The braking point between the 2 car is HUGH. Im talking like 150ft Difference at a 130mph braking Point. You could just dive bomb the corner and have the thing stop>...My bird stops good but nothing close to the vette. I did not find out my lap times until 4 wk later and just about fell over. I thought he was screwing with me until I saw the time sheet Log.

His like about the car was handling was okay needs to be freeier , Car didnt do anything Funny at all. Loved the power, called it Dump truck like. Would like better brakes and some weight out of the car, hated the stock seats. Overall he was impressed for an F-body and think it would make a great track car for him. He still doesnt think my car would of run a 1.06 at that track. Both of our times in each other car are off by the 4 to 5 sec so its a draw on the differnt drivers. We are both slower in each other car as to be as expected. If my car was wearing newer rubber it would of been even faster. I was on 23k worn out BFG-KD tires.

Stock for stock Vette Wins. Stock z0-6 vs Mod-Fbody= Fbody wins, Mod F-body vs Mod Z06=vette Wins. But with that said its the drivers that makes the car. If you are a bad driver you can make a fast car slow. If you are a good driver you can make a slow car fast.

Used 02 zo6 $32,000
Used 01 Firebird $14,000
As you can see you can do alot of mods to get up to the vette price. In the end you will still have a F-body and a Vette. Only you can decide.

IM KEEPING MY FIREBIRD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

John
Old 07-05-2006, 06:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good info John.

I have what I think is a pretty decent handling F-Car. I compete in the Camaro/Mustang Challenge series and is typically a top 5 car.

I also instruct for Texas Driving Experience which provides C5 Z06s in basic stock trim, except for brakes.

I can typically get similar lap times on each platform.

But the Z06 is so much more forgiving. It will make even a bad driver seem good.

I have found you just can't wrestle the Vette around the track like you do a F-car. The F-car can be slid, pitched, pointed, jammed and knuckled through turns.

The Vette, just ... turns. No suprises, no white knuckles, no body english necessary. I equate it to a BMW M3 or M5. Extremely easy to drive.

But the look on the faces of Vette and BMW owners is priceless.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jargan04
If you did get one in. The cost would be so much, you would be better off with a vette.
it's been done already and the cost was nowhere near what people would think
Old 07-05-2006, 09:06 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Good info John.

But the Z06 is so much more forgiving. It will make even a bad driver seem good.

I have found you just can't wrestle the Vette around the track like you do a F-car. The F-car can be slid, pitched, pointed, jammed and knuckled through turns.

The Vette, just ... turns. No suprises, no white knuckles, no body english necessary. I equate it to a BMW M3 or M5. Extremely easy to drive.
Mitch I Understand 100% what you are saying.

John
Old 07-05-2006, 09:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quickin
Are the Koni's way better than the Hals, because if its not a huge difference I'd rather keep them.
If your looking for corner carving and all out handling there is no better shock than Koni. I have them, they are simply amazing. Look how your car is setup, you have drag racing shocks which are not going to help you one bit in the corners. If you want the best all out handling your going to want to get Koni's. I'd recommend going with the single adjustables (that's what I have on my car), less room to screw up and they cost ~$500 less than the double adjustables. A great piece of advise I read in earlier posts is to call Sam Strano so he can talk to you about your car's setup and what you want to get out of it.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by A-man930
What street cars out there can match the handling potential of an F-body? (with similar funding) Everybody seems to think that the little AWD imports are the be-all-end-all street handlers... I've heard otherwise, enlighten me.
Import performance cars lack power but are more balanced. There more geared towards maximizing the cars balance/handling and small engines. The S2000 has the most hp per liter and outhandles most of the cars out of production.

Decades ago american cars were muscles cars which was geared towards big blocks and str8, no so much on handling. Typically the rear end was solid due to big HP. nowadays the only domestic cars that can match the imports handling wise are the Vette and Viper. The Ford Gt is a Lemans car so thats really not fair.

Alot of import cars can outhandle the Fbods, to many to name. But the Supra which is similar in power/weight to the fbods can outhandle us. Mainly because the Supra has double wish suspension.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:43 AM
I ruin the end of films...

Originally Posted by jargan04
If you did get one in. The cost would be so much, you would be better off with a vette.
If you have to take it to a shop, yes.

If you and a friend can do it in a 1-car garage with a plasma cutter, a MIG and some scrap steel plates, then it's not that bad.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:11 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Andros
Alot of import cars can outhandle the Fbods, to many to name. But the Supra which is similar in power/weight to the fbods can outhandle us. Mainly because the Supra has double wish suspension.
The stock tire compound and stock shock valving are most of what would let a Supra MKIV out handle a stock LS1 Z28. They are far from the best handling import out there. It would not take much to get an f body to out handle a stock MKIV, given equal tire compounds and overall weights. A stock C5/C6 Vette (maybe even a C4?) just totally destroys the stock MKIV in the handling dept. (even on crappier stock tires!!)
Old 07-05-2006, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mongse
If you have to take it to a shop, yes.

If you and a friend can do it in a 1-car garage with a plasma cutter, a MIG and some scrap steel plates, then it's not that bad.
atleast you have the right idea to get there, which is exactly how this was done. I'll get some better pics within the next few days

Quick Reply: Can an F-Body be built to handle like a Z06????