Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Spring Compressor?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 02:59 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spring Compressor?

I know everyone out there doesnt have a spring compressor, how are you doing a lowering spring install?I have heard of vise grips, but that just doesnt sound safe..Im trying to find one, but if I dont, I would like to see if there is another way so I can get them on before I go back to college. If its not possible w/o spring compressor, it might be a bit till I get them on
Old 01-04-2006, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Go to autozone... give them $50... they give you a spring compressor... (i believe you want the "strut compressor".. but its the kind with the long bolts and hooks)... if you return it within 3 months you get all of your money back... if you keep it more than three months, you just bought yourself a spring compressor...

just go rent a spring compressor... always use the right tool for the job...
Old 01-04-2006, 07:49 PM
TECH Addict

I went up to Autozone myself today and got the spring compressor...$40 rental, returned after I give it back. now if only I knew how to use it...
Old 01-06-2006, 03:09 PM
Launching!

I ended up getting one, but its a freaking pain in the *** to get to work right. Put one on each side and pretty soon they are together and not compressing the oposite side...Dah!!Dont even have a new spring on the car yet, still trying to get the old off!!!!!Back to work I guess, try the 3rd round on the passenger side....
Old 01-06-2006, 04:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Take them to your local tire shop and have them swapped out. I used a wall mount spring compressor, very easy only took a couple of minute to swap springs. I bought a spring compressor from the parts store with the long bolts/hooks but it was a POS.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by M6WS6
I ended up getting one, but its a freaking pain in the *** to get to work right. Put one on each side and pretty soon they are together and not compressing the oposite side...Dah!!Dont even have a new spring on the car yet, still trying to get the old off!!!!!Back to work I guess, try the 3rd round on the passenger side....
Oh I know, frusterating doesnt even describe it. Check my thread here...https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/431812-noobie-installing-springs.html

I finally got it done though after 3 days...Let me know if you need any help!
Old 01-08-2006, 10:28 PM
Launching!

All is done!!!Def use the impact on the spring compressors, the wrenches are what screwd me up because the compressors ,moved. once that was figured out, 4 hours.....Not to shabby
Old 01-09-2006, 12:39 AM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah those spring compressors you guys are talking about SUCK. They are not safe either... But, you're not going to be able to find anything else. Autozone rentals are the way to go for a quick spring install.

We have a nasty German made spring compressor at work. Luckily, the hooks I use on BMWs, fit perfectly on the TA strut assembly.

For future reference, definately use an impact.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6
Yeah those spring compressors you guys are talking about SUCK. They are not safe either... But, you're not going to be able to find anything else. Autozone rentals are the way to go for a quick spring install.

We have a nasty German made spring compressor at work. Luckily, the hooks I use on BMWs, fit perfectly on the TA strut assembly.

For future reference, definately use an impact.

Werd to the impact, but they are a safe compressor, I dont know how a hardened steel bolt and huge nuts arent safe?Seemed safe enough for the job. But yea, DEF use impact
Old 01-11-2006, 08:50 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by M6WS6
Werd to the impact, but they are a safe compressor, I dont know how a hardened steel bolt and huge nuts arent safe?Seemed safe enough for the job. But yea, DEF use impact

You have to be careful. I've seen two different models break. Scary thing..... Luckily neither of the guys got hurt.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:19 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

rented mine for $8 for the day from tool rental shop.

Quick Reply: Spring Compressor?