Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Is it worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is it worth the money?

Right now my car has SBCs & panhard bar. I only drive my car on the street but I want it to handle better and be able to take turns etc. better. My question is will the following parts I just purchased make my car handle completely different or will the change be slight? I just ordered them but I want to make sure this will be what I need otherwise I will change my order.

Hal Shocks
HAL 300lb Springs
BMR Upper and Lower A-Arm Package
BMR Strut tower Brace
BMR Front/Rear Sway Bars

Thanks
Old 01-04-2006, 10:00 PM
TECH Resident

I would not go with those shocks unless its a drag car. the konis are suppossed to be great for roadf racing/auto x. and go with different springs and if its a street car you dont really need the a arms.I really cant stress that you should not get the shock and spring setup for what your needs are.hopefully sam will chime in .yes! it will feel a lot different.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok... understand that i am only trying to help you... i remind you of this because what i'm about to say may sound harsh...

cancel your entire order

Here's why... The hal/qa1 shocks and springs while certainly look sharp with their aluminum, height adjustable threaded bodies, and functional looking adjusting *****, they are not good handling shocks, even though i think camaro performers did an article on them and managed to come up with slightly better slalom times...

They are an improvement over stock i should think, but they are more drag race oriented and are not good for handling... Look at bilsteins at least... konis would be better and allow you to go with higher rate springs...

As for the A-arms... you may shed a little bit of unsprung weight and they may be a little bit stiffer... but thats a whole lot of money that i doubt you are going to see benefits from... also, they are going to give you a harsher ride thanks to the heim joints and or poly bushings... so i'd wait on those

the strut tower brace is actually a shock tower brace on 4th gen f-bodies... the construction of the car is such that most people dont see much of an improvement with these... however, many people buy them because they look cool...

depending what model car you have, you may (and likely) already have a 32 mm hollow front swaybar... BMR's is also a 32mm front bar, but its solid... now the deal here is that hollow bars are very nearly as stiff as solid bars BUT lighter is better... So if you really want to see an improvement... you want to go to a larger diameter bar, not a heavier one... hotchkis makes a bigger bar but its pricey... www.stranoparts.com also has a more affordable 35 mm front bar... And as for the rear bar... I generally suggest people wait until they get the front bar on before they add a rear bar... the caution here is that if you go too big, the back end just starts sliding out...

So in a nutshell... if you want your car to handle better... take the money you save from not buying all this stuff... and buy a set of koni shocks and a good set of tires and a good alignment... you will be amazed
Old 01-05-2006, 07:28 AM
12 Second Club

i would have to agree, although i dont think i've read that Hal shocks wont improve handling over stock, they definitely arent the best option if you want your car to handle "great". everything is pretty much on point.

i'm surpised he didnt touch on how the STB isnt really as useful on our cars compared to other suspension mods. also have you thought about LCAs as well?
Old 01-05-2006, 08:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

OldeSkool is right. He is 100% correct. I would add I would get new spings with a higher rate. I got the ground control set up. I lower may car 3/4 inch. 300lb/in is the stock rate. If u want to lower ur car u need more rate. I got 400lb/in but alot of people use 450 or 500.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:44 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for all of your info. I will have to make some adjustments to my order so I get this done right!