Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

control arm help

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 06:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dannyboyz28
i think i found the problem..... i also replaced my rearend cover when i did my lca... i think the sway bar is hitting the cover... is there one that sticks out a little farther????? thanks
Do you have a pic? Did you install an aftermarket rearend cover (girdle) and if so, what brand? Did you take the swaybar off to install the girdle? If so, did you put the swaybar back in upside down? Most people who take their swaybar off and then have a clunking noise aferward, found that they put the sway back in upside down.

Marc
Old 02-02-2006, 08:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think i found the problem..... i also replaced my rearend cover when i did my lca... i think the sway bar is hitting the cover... is there one that sticks out a little farther????? thanks
What kind of sway bar are you using? Stock? What type of girdle? And what is making you think the sway bar is hitting the girdle?
Old 02-03-2006, 06:45 AM
Teching In

So i took of my sway bar last night and it was no help, so i guess it wasnt hitting the the rearend girdle.. damn i have no idea what to check now... the only thing i can think of is the springs, the noise only happens over bumps not when you push down on the back. i also checked my lcas and they are tight as hell... so frustrating if the springs arent at the right angle how do i tell????
Old 02-03-2006, 07:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hit the LCA's with your hand from the bottom; hitting them upwards. Quick and easy check. The bolts on mine are tight as hell too, but they will clunk when I do this. That's how I pretty much narrowed my problem down to them.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:10 AM
Teching In

so what was wrong with yours bushing?????
Old 02-03-2006, 10:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[WARNING: Long post]

I wasn't going to say anything yet 'cause the jury's still out, but I've been having noise issues with my UMI tubular (poly/rod-end) LCAs. First, I'd like to say that I don't believe their LCAs are bad in general 'cause there's way too many people who are happy with theirs. I suspect I was unlucky and got a bad set (I hope).

In any case, I've been dicking with mine since last September. I also installed UMI's boxed SFCs and initally had my stock LCAs torqued to 85ft/lbs. The stockers made no noise what so ever. Then, I installed their LCAs at the same torque spec (85ft/lb) and made sure to pump the correct amount of grease in the poly bushing (I made sure the suspension was loaded when torquing the bolts). They were noisey as hell! The next day I torqued the bolts down to 90ft/lbs. There may have been a slight improvement with the noise, but they were still loud.

I then took the car to a shop that specializes in F-Bodys. They checked the install and the torque on the bolts. As far as they could tell, everything was installed properly.

I called UMI and Ryan was real cool. He thought maybe the rod-end bushings weren't tight and were making noise. He sent me (no charge) a new set of metal bushings for the rod-end with a slightly larger diameter set of bolts (1/2"). I took the LCAs off and installed the new bushings and bolts. I ended up having to ream out the holes in the stock bracket 'cause it was too small for the 1/2" bolts. This time, I torqued all the bolts down to 100ft/lbs. There may have been a small improvement, but not good enough.

I talked with Ryan again and he thought it may be possible that the threaded end of the QA1 rod-ends were loose in the LCAs. He suggested I wrap the QA1 threads in teflon tape and see if I could tighten them up a little. I took it one step further and also stuffed the hollow LCAs with fiber fill (the stuff they use inside teddy bears). I put them back on, torqued to 100ft/lbs again and while the noise isn't as bad, it's still very noticeable. Personal note: I broke one of my fingers torquing down the rear passenger LCA bolt when the socket slipped off the bolt head. OUCH!!! Don't do that again! A buddy of mine road in my car the other day and said there was definately something not right.

Which brings me to now. I've talked some more with UMI and they've been as helpful as they can be. We've agreed that I can send the LCAs back to them and they're going to take a look at them. If they don't find anything wrong... I don't know what we'll do. However, if they determine that something may be wrong with them, they've agreed to replace them. I asked that "if" they do offer to replace them, can I get the poly/poly LCAs instead and they said they could do that and give me credit for the difference in price.

This has been a major hassel, but I don't blame UMI in the least. There are too many other owners that are happy with their UMI products to make me believe that UMI's stuff sucks. Sometimes it's just luck of the draw. They've been cool and I trust we can work something out.

That's my LCA story...

[/WARNING: Long post]

Marc
Old 02-03-2006, 10:27 AM
Teching In

so should i say screw it and just order a new set of lca or just go back to stock
Old 02-03-2006, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

so should i say screw it and just order a new set of lca or just go back to stock
I say try new bushings first, if you have done that, call Ryan at UMI and talk to him. I personally believe that LCA should be one of the first mods one should do. And I dont believe that you should just go back to stock, because you are out the money for the LCA that you never knew what was wrong with. Talk to UMI, they will work something out with you. (Especially if its just a quality slip)
Old 02-06-2006, 02:11 PM
Teching In

i was checking out slponline.com and came across some spacers that they said are necessary if you get 17" well i recently brought 17" inch rims and they were fine until i switched the lca. so im wondering if jounce bumpers are necessary to have?????
Old 02-06-2006, 06:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't see how that would be necessary, as stock WS6's and SS's come with 17" wheels from the factory. Never heard of anyone having to add these to make it work out.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:46 AM
Teching In

i was just wondering because on there site they say there necessary for ls1 upgrades to 17" rims... would it hurt to take off my bump stops or would i damage something???????